Protein options for a returning vegan with food allergies

airunited4u

Hi guys! New here! My background with vegan diet: I used to be vegan 5+ years ago and maintained it for about 2 years, however I was not financially able keep at it and my health deteriorated from lack of nutrition as I wasnt doing it properly.

Fast forward to now my finances and physical health are much better and in a place where Im even back in the gym for weight training! I finally worked through my ED over the past years and figured out some allergies too. Which brings me to my main Q.

I have gluten allergies, and my body has a hard time processing legumes like chickpeas, lentils and beans.

For someone like me with these food sensitivities, does anyone have any recommendations for high protein substitutes for my food? Im supposed to have at least 30g of protein per meal for my current fitness goals.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

EDIT 1: holy heck thank you everyone for all the incredibly helpful responses!! Was away for work so will respond to each in a few minutes, stopping by the grocery store right now to pick up some options!! Will update again with another edit with how it goes. Im so very excited and also again hella grateful to all your help!! Cheers!!

@airunited4u Have you tried TVP? It’s soy based, but it’s processed and only has part of the soybean, so maybe whatever is aggravating your digestive system has been removed? Not likely, but might be worth a shot.

@airunited4u I have a FODMAP sensitivity and soy products tend to be one of the best for my gut compared to straight up beans, lentils, and other legumes. FODMAPs are water-soluble so firm tofu (more water is pressed out) should be a good way to get vegan protein without the gut issues.

Silk soy milk also tend to be good since it is processed more heavily allowing for the FODMAP to be reduced.

@airunited4u Hemp powder is good for smoothies. Then, for beans, you may be sensitive to fodmaps. Luckily you can remove a lot those if you cook beans in this way: soak dry beans overnight. Discard water. Add water and boil for 5 minutes. Discard water. Add new water and boil until tender. It takes effort but they are soooo much easier to digest much less flatulence. And the for cereals with no gluten you have rice (rice protein powder also exists by the way). Oh and pseudograins like quinoa and buckwheat I believe the latter has no gluten as well

@trueblood Thank you for this response! Im going to try that this weekend. Does the boiling/rinsing process remove some nutrients tho? Would it retain enough protein? Not sure how these things work.

I always forget about quinoa, usually I just avoid any flour based foods/products and stick to rice and the occasional GF certified pastas as a treat. Didnt know buckwheat is GF either!! Thank you again for the detailed advice!!

@airunited4u I am a big fan of tempeh. It’s fairly neutral & even healthy than tofu in many ways. I eat about 6-8oz of it every day. Air fried w Thai chili sauce, stir fry teriyaki style. Crumbled in tomato sauce over pasta (I sub cauliflower rice since I’m low carb -T2D). I enjoy it so much. I’ve been making my own for several months. Give it a try .)

https://www.loveandlemons.com/tempeh/

@anniejey Oh!! I just googled it, didnt realize it had such a high protein count that’s great to know! Mmm now im craving a tomato pasta. Perfect now i know what to meal prep hahaha thank you sm!!