Protein: Seitan is 58% the cost of chicken breast

@rrcoffin The second part, in food.

Wouldn't you know it, don't like beans. Isn't that inconvenient? Tofu is still my pal at least. Can get that in appropriate bulk.

@rrcoffin I've cooked Seitan Ribs and another recipe on google - it always tastes like salty gooey bread. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE someone help me with a recipe that tastes decent! I love tofu but I need 10x as much to get all the 'tein I need!

@rrcoffin There's a great recipe for baked seitan on 'thatveganshit' or a website called something like that.

5 minutes prep, 40 in the oven, tastes great.

@rrcoffin Seitan is NOT a complete protein. That means it doesn't have all the amino acids people need to build muscle (or stay alive).

For this reason, it's deceptive to compare its price to chicken, and it should not be a primary protein source.

It's very tasty and makes a nice treat though.

@peasantgirl Please stop spreading this myth!! You don't need to think about complete or incomplete proteins! Your body is much smarter than that and handles it just fine. It's not that seitan doesn't have some amino acids, it just has less of one (lysine) than others. And guess what your body recycles 90g plus of your own human proteins (which are definitely complete in your opinion) from your gut daily.

See here: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-protein-combining-myth/

It's bad enough this myth is perpetuated constantly outside of vegan communities. Let's not spread it further within own own.

@peasantgirl Well you only really need "assistance" meal to meal. It's pretty much impossible to exclude an amino acid from your diet. You'd have to actively try hard to. You just need to each some grains, some fruit, some veggies, some nuts, some legumes, and you're fine. The reality is no one has a diet that would result in any type of amino acid deficiency. If you have doubts, look up Vegan Gains on YouTube. He's pretty ripped and big and eats less protein than just about anyone I've seen in the bodybuilding world. Also see Jon Venus, Brian Turner, Vegan Physique on YouTube. Living proof of a balanced diet and huge muscle gains. And one more anecdotal account, in addition to the evidence presented in the video, is a friend of mine who has gone from skinny kid to hulk eating boatloads of seitan daily. Literally has eaten it daily for two years. That's of course in addition to the other things in his diet like the stuff we all eat as vegans to get calories, nuts, legumes, whole grains.

Just eat what you like and forget about it! That's the bottom line (as long as you're getting sufficient protein overall). See those Youtubers and their full day of eating videos. You're probably in for a surprise!

@peasantgirl Why should an incomplete protein not be one of a person's primary sources? I agree that other protein sources are needed in similar quantities, and I don't think anyone is going to eat seitan at every meal. But I also don't think anyone eats chicken as their sole source of protein, so why is this comparison deceptive?

@rrcoffin I see a lot of people on /r/fitness talking about eating nothing but chicken breast. My assumption was that you were trying to mimic this in the vegan setting. But it looks like I was wrong and should have read your post more charitably. Sorry! Happy veganing to you.

Back