Pull ups and push ups

adb

39 y.o., 5’8”, 164 lbs

My fitness journey began this past fall where I started with basic bodyweight fitness routine with gymnastics rings. Could only perform 3 pull ups to start. Slowly progressed but fell back with recurrent colds this last winter.

Started a pull up challenge with a coworker and this is my progress so far. My goal was 10 but he told me to make it 12.

Pull Up Log: Goal of 12

2/15 - 8, 6, 7 ……..………….…..21

2/17 - 9, 8, 7 ………………...…..24

2/19 - 8, 7, 7, 6, 5 ………….…..33

2/21 - 9, 8, 6 …………………….23

2/23 - 8, 7, 5 …………………….20

2/25 - 9, 10, 8, 7, 6 ……………40

2/27 - 9, 8, 8, 6, 7 ………….….38

3/1 - 10, 8, 7, 5, 5, 4 …………..39

3/3 - 9, 6, 6, 7, 6, 6, 6, 5 ….…51

The first 7 days, I would randomly do pull ups throughout the day. This month, I’ve been doing max reps, 1 minute rest, repeat, 10 minute rest.

Should I aim for 5 x 8’s to see if I can complete them and how much time between sets? This would serve as my benchmark prior to adding weights.

Trying to progress with getting more reps in and stopping when I can’t perform more than 5 but I feel I may have hit a ceiling.

Thoughts?

On alternate days, I perform pushups. I mix it up with standard, decline, and archer push-ups. May possibly benefit from weights here as well.

Will also focus on legs and core strength to even things out.

@adb
I’ve been doing max reps, 1 minute rest, repeat, 10 minute rest.

Anytime you go to your max, you should probably rest more like 4-5 minutes. And given how often you're training, I'd probably suggest you leave a rep in the tank. Going maximal costs a lot of recovery compared to leaving one rep in the tank.

@adb You can benchmark yourself if you want, but the next logical approach is definitely either adding weight or using a harder progression. Maybe archer pull ups or removing fingers from one of your hands (eg. Middle + ring finger with one hand, full hand on other. With this, progressively use weaker fingers, moving you're way to the pinky and then, hopefully, one hand only).

Honestly, 5x8 pullups are very good and I'm a little surprised that you can't yet do 12 in a set. That being said, you're incredibly close, keep it up!

Also, 5 sets isn't necessary. I generally do about 4, but the number of reps in each set can therefore be slightly larger. Stick with 5 if u want and u have the time, just know that you can reduce it if time isn't in your favour.

@adb You don't want to be a hero 10 is fine once you get 10 in with full range and great technique n form add weights and then try least 8 if you can only do 5 so be it.

But with consistency and showing up you'll be doing more its just the way it goes practice makes perfect.

Also add small weights say 5kg to start get that good and add more don't be a hero challenge you