Pull ups, L pull ups, V pull ups

Scrap footage:

I started trying to record some muscle up variations, but wasn't satisfied with my technique. I'll try again when I'm fresh.

@smokingjoepot I was getting a lot of elbow pain, and my shoulder would get wonky when I would work on muscle ups like that.

I thought I narrowed the problem down to having my hands to wide out when doing them, and it has mostly gone away since I started keeping my hands closer.

Have you ever had that problem? Is it a matter of strengthening the joints/tendons so you can do them that far out with no issues?

And thanks for the V-Pull up, never heard of it, but am definately going to add it to the mix.

@smokingjoepot This really makes me wish my gym had a classic straight bar to do pull-ups with. All we have are those handles between cable machines. The problem with those is that you can't perform according to your own shoulder-width, especially if you're like me and have broad shoulders.

@yunus061 I'm fairly sure they are different exercises. In most variations that I have seen hanging leg raises are to get above parallel, whilst toes to bar is, well, to the bar.

@yunus061 I never knew, TIL. It seems to have corrupted a lot of articles online unfortunately then. Because I always have to specify that I mean to the bar.

@dawn16 I like the term "hanging V raise" if you want to differentiate the two. No big deal though. The term "toes to bar" irks me me though because most people end up looking like Wendler in that picture there - where its a raise to parallel and then the shoulders to the rest of the work

@dawn16 I don't know - my shoulders close too much so I still use it until I build up the active flexibility. From there I would go one of two places:
  • windshield wipers or even full circular leg raises (feet make a giant circle)
  • hip lift from hanging V to inverted hang (basically unfolding upwards)
Pullovers would also work, but they're easier to do

@yunus061 Interesting, I don't think I have quite mastered the hanging v raise, bit more flexibility, but I don't feel like I'm far off. Unfortunately I don't have space for pullovers, unless you can do them on rings, can you? Same goes for windshield wipers, although I could probably find somewhere outside to try them. Although the best place outside that I had was a goalpost, that has since fallen down..

@smokingjoepot Now I have no more idea how to do pull ups. Am I meant to let shoulders go up near ears like dead hang or not?

Some people say you are meant to keep them in sockets all the time, now I see you are doing it different.

@paulwhoever I usually recommend to go down to full extension in the arms and shoulders unless you have some sort of injury or impairment that contraindicates that. However, you should still keep tension in the shoulders the whole time. Don't let them relax and pop out of socket.

@yunus061 Yeah, I have rotator cuff and labrum issues and have to be careful about it. Since the rotator cuff isn't particularly strong, it helps to consciously keep some tension using other muscle groups as well.