Quitting sugar --- healthy or too restrictive?

@joyfulspirit68 Yeah, that's actually worked in my favor to avoid desserts when I go out now. I love having a coffee w/ a pastry or something sweet, but I just can't handle most desserts/pastries that I haven't made because they are just WAY too sweet. I bake for myself, and I drastically reduce the amount of sugar in every recipe. Your taste buds do adjust to less sugar. Now when I have a sweet craving (usually in the evenings), an apple or pear is what I'd prefer over baked goods anyway. If I'm really craving something warm from the oven, I have a few go-to recipes that are low in added sugar

@jesse1354 Refined sugar, I save for special occasions. I have fruit when I want sweet, always have frozen fruit in my freezer. If I’m at a party or it’s a holiday or my pms is kicking me hard, I’ll have a slice of cheezecake or a couple Oreos or some Ben and Jerry’s or whatever. I think that’s a pretty balanced approach. Keeps me healthy most of the time but I’m not banning junk food entirely, it’s not forbidden so I don’t feel bad when I do eat it. I have a massive sweet tooth so if I don’t give myself some kind of restriction on it, I will eat a family size bag of candy in one sitting. Took some time to get used to saying no to my sugar cravings, but the more you say no, the less often they come and the easier it is to keep saying no

@jesse1354 As someone who is currently doing keto (you do you, I'm not recommending the diet itself) I found that my sweet tooth goes away after about two weeks. Until then, I make sure to keep enough calories and carbs to very slowly eat a tablespoon or two of peanut butter, which is sweet enough to somewhat satisfy the craving without blowing all the good I'd done for myself during the day.

@ee7759 Same story here, did keto for a few months, (went off of it because of family staying with me for Christmas, just getting back into it now) and it was about 2 weeks before the cravings went away and my taste buds adjusted. Those first two weeks were absolutely brutal, but I don't do well with just having 'a little', it always sets off a binge. I definitely don't regret it at all and even look forward to being back on keto because of how much better I felt while I was on it. Even if you don't want to do full keto, cutting sugar might be worth trying out. It's hard as hell, but honestly my body felt so much better and the cravings did go away in time.

@ee7759 I lasted 2 weeks on keto this year before I realised that I couldn't bring myself to eat less protein as well so now I've reintroduced carbs... Just like you I felt the need to eat sweets does go away after like 10 days, but ever since I've reintroduced carbs it's been a slippery slope and now that I'm PMSing I just crave sugar big time... I really don't know how to allow myself natural and fibrous sources of sugar and carbs without completely slipping back into refined sugar... :(

@thehindubrahmin For keto, if you still eat relatively high protein (macros should only be around 20-25% protein), your body will still convert it to glucose so you won't be in ketosis :/

@soaren Stevia. Stevia is amazingly sweet, low carb, natural and there's some evidence it's actual good for you rather than just not bad for you.

Try stevia in your sweet treats.

@newgreeny I tried stevia and didn't like the aftertaste so I recently bought erythritol. My concern is that as long as I keep allowing myself to eat it I'll just keep craving sugar :( how does one practice self-restraint...

@soaren I eat a lot of protein while on keto, carbs are really the only macro I watch. Protein and fats are fair game to stay in ketosis, and I know some people advocate that you need more fats than protein, but as long as you're getting a sufficient amount of fats to stay satiated you should be fine.

Maybe try looking at some keto desserts for the sweet tooth? I enjoy cheesecake, and also make a pudding with coconut milk (canned), cocoa powder, swerve and chia seeds. They help to satisfy my sweet tooth without refined sugar that'll spike your blood sugar.

I will be going off of keto soon, will still stay relatively low carb, but not worry about ketosis so I can enjoy some of the foods I miss. Basically moderate low-carb meals with other "regular" meals, while avoiding refined sugar as much as possible. I get a terrible sweet tooth too with sugar, so I'm hoping this will work well for me.

@jesse1354 I am just like you! Sugar was an absolute addiction for me and I still love candy/cake/cookies more than life itself.

My best trick for breaking the addiction was See’s Candies butterscotch lollipops. They’re only 80 calories each AND they take like 15 minutes to eat, which gives my brain enough time to enjoy the sweetness and fully register that I’m full from the meal before. I had one after dinner every day and cut out almost all other “sweets”, which was a huge overall cut in sugar and allowed me to beat the addiction while still feeling satisfied. After a few months, I wasn’t even craving the lollipops that much anymore.

My advice: find a hard candy you like that will take a long time to eat, and sub that in wherever you want to binge until the cravings ease up!

@jesse1354 When I go cold turkey (one month, similar to what a few other people have said), the first week is miserable. I stock up on fruit and hope that the cravings don't get too bad.

I usually do keep good honey in the mix because I almost always get a bad cold in January, and there's nothing like honey in tea (or bourbon) to help.

The first time I cut out all types of added sugar (including honey and maple) and it was really hard. But by the end of the month, I wasn't even thinking about it anymore. No cravings, didn't really even think about desserts or "treats", and it just became normal. I feel like keeping a balance after getting through the initial withdrawal is much easier. It's like I was eating sweets out of habit. I was just so used to eating them at certain times or in certain situations that cutting them out broke that habit.

@jesse1354 I know a lot of people find that completely cutting things out is “too restrictive,” but everyone functions differently. I personally find that the more carbs I consume, the more I want them and crave them. They make me grouchy and hungry all the time. Because of this, I tend to eat very low carb, and it works well for me. I avoid sugar almost altogether and it helps with my skin, weight, mood, cognition, etc.

The first few days are kind of miserable for me. Especially because it makes you realize that there’s ALWAYS an excuse to grab a carb heavy treat. It seems like someone at the office is always celebrating good news, or a birthday, or we have patients that bring in treats to show their appreciation. For the first week, it can be really hard to just say no. But once you start doing it, it’s not bad really, and soon it stops being a struggle and just starts being a lifestyle choice.

The other day I brought in cupcakes for a coworker celebrating a big accomplishment. I didn’t even have one. To be honest, I didn’t care to. And at this point everyone knows I’m not eating sugar and doesn’t bother me about having “just a bite” or “just trying one.” If I have just half of one, I slide right back into my old habits. That may sound “restrictive,” but I know myself and it awakens this little sugar monster inside of me.

When I am really craving something sweet, I don’t deprive myself. I will bake some low carb friendly cookies or treats. Sometimes I grab a Lily’s chocolate bar which are fairly low carb and absolutely delicious. There are lots of options.

Also, on days where I’m just really hungry and want to eat, I do that. Low carb/no sugar doesn’t mean low calorie. Sometimes I just eat, because I want to and it’s that time of the month and I need a lot of food. So I give myself room for that. I still avoid sugary treats and make low carb substitutions, but I don’t deprive myself of food in any way.

@jingo5 I find lower carb keeps me happier as well. But the exception seems to be lactose. My body loves full fat dairy but the lactose doesn't seem to have a negative impact on me like out her sugars or carbs.

@jingo5 I am the same exact way! I even call it my "sugar monster" too bc I literally can't eat just a little sugar, it makes me crave it so bad and I end up eating everything in sight. I swear by the Lily's chocolate, it is the best product I've ever found. Sugar-free jello and pudding is OK too but it feels a bit too chemical-ly.

@jingo5 Same. I do much better with concrete or specific rules compared to something a bit more vague like "eat healthy" or "less treats". With the latter I find myself convincing myself that treat X is fine for whatever reason

@jingo5 Same. I’ve never been good with moderation regarding sugar or carbs. Giving them up was hard at first and I do still eat a fair amount of carbs, but at this point it doesn’t really bother me much anymore. This year was my first sugar free holiday season and I managed to successfully avoid my usual winter weight gain. Sweets are a pretty traditional thing around Christmas and thanksgiving in my family and I was a bit worried about them pressuring me. So I baked a sugar free pumpkin pie for thanksgiving and some sugar free cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. They both came out amazing! On a day to day basis if I am craving something sweet I grab a chocolate chip quest cookie. I should also add that I didn’t give up added sugar entirely but pretty much all ‘sweets’ and anything with more than 5 grams of sugar total in the amount of servings I intend to eat. This doesn’t include really small amounts of sweets, those are off limits.