Quitting sugar --- healthy or too restrictive?

@jingo5 It’s been so long they almost taste like real cookies to me. Chocolate chip and snickerdoodle are my favorite. Just got a box of the new peanut butter chocolate chip ones from amazon today, I’ll let y’all know if they’re any good. :D

Update: they are delicious

@jesse1354 I've mostly cut out added sugars. I had completely cut out added sugars for a couple of years (save for a small treat on rare occasion, like a birthday), but that was not as sustainable as I started dating someone with kids. I also found that for me, it wasn't the most balanced approach. I don't want to be the person who turns down 50+% of the food at a family holiday dinner, because it doesn't meet macros/isn't "clean" enough (whatever that means anyway, as it's largely a BS concept).

Now? I avoid added sugars in things that really don't need them. I search ingredient lists. Pasta sauce, for example, doesn't need added sugar and shouldn't have it. Chicken sausages, cracker, soups, etc. are all items that do not need, and should not have, added sugar. Check the labels. Anything that ends in "ose" is likely an added sugar.

Past that, I don't typically keep sugared snacks in my home, so if I have a sweet craving, I'm usually reaching for a piece of fruit, or a couple of raisins. If I have something with added/processed sugar in my house, it's a bar of dark chocolate, some decent truffles, or maybe a pint of Ben and Jerry's non-dairy, coffee, caramel, chocolate ice cream. These items, if I have them, are put on a high shelf, out of line of sight, so that I have to actually think about them to reach for them. I don't just open my freezer to get peas for dinner and have ice cream staring at me. I don't open a cabinet to get rice and have chocolate in my eye line.

When I do want a treat, I take my portion, and immediately put the rest back.

At restaurants, if there's a dessert I really want, I order it.

At my boyfriend's if I have a treat, it's the same as it is at my house. I avoid the other stuff in the house partially because I'm allergic to some of it, and partially because it isn't mine. Those treats are there for the kids. Would anyone be mad if I had a cookie or piece of their chocolate? No. That said, taking something that isn't yours is wrong, so I don't do it. Also, if we eat the stuff we buy them for dessert/ treat snacks, than we just have to go out and get more, which is annoying. We also tend to get the things that they like, but we're not wild about as a further deterrent.

Edit: I am seriously not sure why this is getting down voted. The fact that it is is ridiculous. Whatever. Sometimes, people are ridiculous.

Another edit: I've switched to raisins now, but when I made nutrition tweaks leading up to my last meet, I was actually using gummy candy as my workout carbs, because my nutrition called for fast sugar, and that was the easiest option of the choices given. I balked at first, but it had a purpose.

@jesse1354 I’m completely biased as I’ve been keto since waaay before keto was cool. No doubt I’ll be down voted to oblivion!

Having acknowledged that, if you can truly cut out all sugar, including wheat, you may find yourself pretty happy with the results. If you choose to do it, be sure to drink way more water than you’re used to and chug some electrolytes.

@jesse1354 I went cold turkey for a few months (first I did Whole30 and then paleo for the next few months). I stopped and gained all the weight back and more (which sucks). But since then I completely lost my sweet tooth. I still eat sweets sometimes, but I definitely don't crave them anymore.

@femc53 That's what my husband and I are doing! We just keep sugar things out of the house, and it's not hard at all. The toughest part has been all of the times people at work bring in sweets. We're both getting teased at our jobs. His team does Donut Fridays, and my boss received cupcakes from a vendor, and so we all got to share them (I took mine home and froze it for February). I'm definitely excited to be done, though, just so I have a little more flexibility in what I eat.

@zemira57 It's great! Because knowing that you have to defrost it to enjoy it properly (okay you don't really have to defrost it but I tell myself that) helps with desire for instant gratification. It's there, but you'll have to go through a process to get to it so might as well eat something easier and not full of sugar.

@jesse1354 At least once a year I go 30 days without consuming processed sugar. I can’t recommend it enough!

I tend to get addicted to sugar - and while I think cutting out fruit would make for a sad existence (unless for serious medical reasons) I have found a lot of positives from periodically cutting the processed stuff out for a set amount of time.

30 days is good because it’s long enough to cause significant change and break habits, but not so long that it feels sad or restrictive.

@simonw94 For me fruit has become my sweets. I try to avoid any added sugar and keep my carbohydrates on the lower side of the glycemic index.

It hasn’t been difficult to almost never have sugar when I have fruit to turn to for indulging my sweet tooth.

@simonw94 Honestly I am horrible with moderation. So for me usually cold turkey would work until around 30 days when I'd either say f*ck it or give in because of a special occasion or was just plain bored.
What helped me was trying out intermittent fasting for around 2 months. I tried it because I wanted to see what this lifestyle was like and although I ultimately quit it for lifestyle reasons I must say that it helped me quit snacking on sweets that I didn't need. I would eat from 7am -4pm so when I got home from work I would tell myself I couldn't have anything (food included). And no I was not starving myself.
This really helped me rebuild my relationship with food and sweet snacks as well so I wouldn't mindlessly just eat away all my emotions and frustrations from that day.
Ever since then I haven't had intense binging sessions like before and decide to eat chocolate when I want to or forego it for my own personally and health goals.

@simonw94 Did this last year and it was amazing. Completely changed my attitude to processed sugar!

Before this I’d buy a pack of Oreos and ate the whole thing, but now one on its own is sweet enough

@simonw94 I came into this thread to suggest this! I had a friend who gave up sugar for lent and ended up just never going back. She lost a bunch of weight and felt way better. The first couple weeks were rough, but once your body stops craving it you might find yourself actually DISLIKING the idea of overly sweet treats.

Now, quitting permanently might not be feasible for you. I read that your snack preference (salty vs sweet) is genetic, and if you're someone who's coded to prefer sweets you may never get to the point where you're happy skipping dessert forever. I'm a salty snack person myself, so I found it pretty easy to quit. I still enjoy the occasional sweet, but no more than a bite or two at a time before I feel overwhelmed.

Regardless of which you are, quitting for a couple weeks cold turkey will probably at least reset your cravings to a more reasonable level. You'll find yourself satisfied by much less sugar than before.

@farfromperfect I used to be die hard sweets person but my taste buds changed when I was 20 years old, not sure why or how. Now 7 years later I am still hardcore salty girl and can only tolerate small amounts of processed sugar. Give me a bag of hot cheetos tho and those will be gone so fast :D

@farfromperfect I did it in the context of a challenge and raised money for charity, which really helps with motivation. Sugar free September- raising money for muscular dystrophy nsw. When the month was over I didn’t feel like getting going back to my sugar fuelled ways.

@jesse1354 Assuming you mean added sugar, I'm entirely off it (bar 1 treat the day I get my period every month), cold turkey, not sure how long now. I find this approach FAR easier than trying to moderate my intake, which I'm completely awful at: I just don't buy any, don't keep any in the house, throw out any left over after a party, don't think about it at all. I don't recall ever having any sort of "withdrawal".