Remember: You don't NEED Protein Powder (x-post /r/fitness)

ibelong

I've read a lot of new queue questions from beginners asking about routine and such. But one thing I've noticed in the new queue is a lot of people keep asking if they should buy protein powder and if its "healthy". I wanted to paste part of this article in here.

Many beginners think of protein powder as the Ambrosia of the lifting gods, something that will bestow upon them unreal power in the gym. But in reality protein powder is exactly what it is: Protein. That’s all it is; it will not do anything besides help fulfill your protein macronutrient requirement. So when should you take protein powder?

Its recommended for active athletes that you get 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight(2.2 Grams / Kg). Sometimes active people do not reach this requirement and their performance suffers because of it. This is where protein powders can be helpful. Protein powder is relatively cheap and has an excellent price to gram ratio. Protein powder is also very easily consumed as a drink or as a chocolate bar. A serving of whey protein can have the same amount of protein as three fast food hamburgers. Track your macronutrients throughout the day and see if your deficient in protein. If your not getting enough protein, buy some protein powder and take enough servings to make up for the difference.

I want to make it clear that protein powder or protein bars will not
  • heal injuries
  • building muscle faster
  • increase/decrease metabolism
  • make you a roid raging monster
  • kill you
Protein powder is really great if you have trouble reaching your macro nutrients, but other than that it doesn't do much. Don't believe supplement advertising saying it will build you magical muscles or make you superman.

If you want to buy protein powder this article has some pretty good recommendations and lists protein powder by grams/serving.

@ibelong I like and agree with a title! This is especially true for women, which require quite a bit of protein to their workout progress. The era of consumption, along with marketing companies rather complicate our lives, but on the contrary should be helping us.
I am lifting near 5 years now and I never acquired any protein powder. I try a lots of supplements, but i still think protein is useless if you can cook and eat normal real food.

@ibelong I've always wondered about this, as I take no powders or supplements whatsoever, no protein or creatine. I have kidney failure and I always fear that those things will be bad for me.

I have been training hard for quite a while now but often I see women who look bigger than me who started at a similar time and it's discouraging to think that that won't happen to me because I can't take the supplements. Oh well. I know I shouldn't compare myself, I'm working on that.

It's kind of good to know that protein powder isn't majorly necessary.

@zelna I don't take supplements I get all my protein from food and I'm definitely one of the more muscular ladies in my gym. I'd say as long as your diet is on point and you're hitting your macros the rest will fall into place, eventually.

@ibelong sorry don't have a source (lazy) but i remember seeing a few studies suggesting that high protein (can't remember how much) did help with healing from surgery. i will look in a minute (maybe)

half assed attempt

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/474066_10

"Postoperative protein requirements typically range between 1.2 and 2 g/kg, with the lower endappropriate for patients after uncomplicated elective surgery and the higher end recommended after major surgery.[37] Severe renal or hepatic dysfunction may require short-term protein restriction below this range, whereas large open wounds or burns can increase protein needs to >2 g/kg."

(is elaborated a bit more in link, obviously)

it stands to reason that some (quantity X) extra protonz might help if you're eg rehabbing, and why not,if you're lifting. i will take any excuse to eat more beef, though

@ibelong I always just assumed that it was for those post-workout hunger pangs, and pre-workout energy.

I've never used any before (or looked into it), just thought that's what most people were using it for. Kind of supplemental meal replacement as well.

@ibelong I'm not an elite powerlifter or anything like that...I have a set of weights and a bench in my basement and that's what I use. Basically I try to eat enough protein to keep myself from feeling hungry all the time, and I gauge my progress by things like whether or not I can see my muscles growing and how fast I'm progressing to heavier weights. I think it's important to have a more strict diet if you're aiming to compete, and 1g of protein per lb of body weight seems pretty standard (and seems to be what most of the pros swear by).

All that to say, I've never tried protein powder because so far I've been able to get roughly enough protein through my diet. Peanut butter, eggs, milk, cheese, and kefir smoothies seem to be an easy way to get more without needing to buy and eat a shit ton of meat every week.

@ibelong Shit so protein powder doesn't do anything with regards to helping muscles heal or grow? Does creatine even work as prescribed? What supplements are the most beneficial?

Also while I'm here, anyone have any clue on the best way to cut down love handles?

@ibelong I agree, but I think vegetarians who are low-carb are excluded from this perception.

If you're training and are vegetarian, protein powder are necessary on workout days. I'm 5' 2" and without protein powder, I'd get about 40g or 50g per day. With the supplement, I'd reach my macros for protein (70g-100g) otherwise I'd probably just lose muscle mass over time.

Because I am keto and low-carb, I can't get protein from beans, grains, or chickpeas as they are very carby. This is my special situation though so I will still advocate you will need protein powder if this is the case.

@ibelong Thank you for this! My friend was asking me if she needed to take protein and before I could answer, our fitness junkie friend jumped in and started going on about the 30 minute metabolic window that you have to start taking protein powder etc etc...

@ibelong Pretty much only thing I use protein powder for is to bake with so that if I don't feel like eating meat for dinner I can get my macros in my dessert at least :p

@ibelong Whey protein is my everything. About 100g of my daily protein intake is whey. I don't really eat meat and meeting my macros on beans and tofu is really difficult if I want to eat things other than beans and tofu.

@ibelong I use protein powder because it's an easy, quick, calorie-cheap way to keep my protein levels up (I usually aim for 80-100 g per day). I try to get most of my protein from food (and succeed from the most part) but there are some days I need the boost. I definitely feel best when my macros are mostly balanced, and it's a guilt-free way for me to get my chocolate peanut butter fix.

@deborah137 If you want the chocolate/pb fix without the pricy protein, cocoa+peanut flour+salt+sweetener+enough water or milk to get a paste (or, if you're fancy, yogurt/tofu/cottage cheese) is amazing for those peanut butter cup cravings.

Back