Remember: You don't NEED Protein Powder (x-post /r/fitness)

@1seekingknowlege I don't fully disagree but it is definitely marketed - and has been for years - directly to gym rats looking to build lean mass. A majority of ads promoting one brand or another will show some buff human, possibly doing a bicep curl.

And it was certainly popularized in the early years by the bodybuilding community, so I understand why there is confusion around it.

But yeah, it's just a food source of complete protein.

@fgarridogalvan Currently on the cookies and creme one which tastes like an oreo! It mixes really well too. I've heard good reviews about all of their flavors though. The next one I'm going to try is a peanut butter one

@1seekingknowlege People have a lot of really misguided ideas about fitness and fitness-related things, as we often see in this sub when newbies post about "getting bulky". You will also see lots of posts both here and in /r/fitness where people think that protein is bad for you, or their parents tell them it will hurt them. I have a friend who told me she doesn't use protein powder because of "hidden ingredients", as recommended by her naturopath... sooooooo yeah, it's not necessarily any claims from the brands, just lots of rampant misinformation. Although yes, some of the supplement advertising can go a bit overboard on their claims.

@not_a_unicorn A friend of mine had bad acne, went on Accutane and it affected her back (it got weakened and she injured it working out one day), and her parents blame protein powder for all that, including the acne, even though she had it before she started taking any protein powder. Until now, most of the time whenever her parents ask her about her health, they still mention "You should stop taking that powder!" Sigh.