Remember: You don't NEED Protein Powder (x-post /r/fitness)

@ibelong My favorite is those misinformed prior that want to 'diet' so they get some protein powder and drink a shake a day. No, you just put extra calories in your body, the opposite of what you should be doing to lose weight.

@ibelong Just curious about the protein recommendation being 1g to 1lb body weight for athletes and lower for sedentary people. Why is this? And could sedentary to moderately active people not also benefit from a diet higher in protein?

@notalkb4coffee I think they don't really "need" it or so to say. Athletes focus on building muscle and progressing to be faster or stronger. Athletes are building muscle while sedentary people aren't building anything.

@notalkb4coffee Sedentary people would not benefit from the additional protein, as only a small amount is needed for routine tissue repair. Any protein over the necessary amount will be broken down for energy, and stored as fat if energy balance is positive. Athletes need more because they are breaking down more muscle tissue during workouts, and this active breakdown stimulates growth, so if there's sufficient protein available, the body will repair the muscle larger than it was before.

Also 1g/lb is excessive, unless you are on steroids you cannot make use of that much protein.

@folashade Interesting.
You seem knowledgable so I'll inquire further;
I'm recovering from anorexia and restoring from an extremely low (bmi sub 12) weight. This means my body needs to rebuild a lot of muscle for organ function, yes? So despite being sedentary, do I stand to benefit from a higher protein diet / balance than the average person?

@notalkb4coffee I can't say for certain. Maybe use your ideal weight to calculate protein needs (for sedentary) ? Then add 10g or so for an extra cushion? Again, calories are most important, but if you're really concerned you should probably ask a doctor.

@ibelong I think this is a really important point. When I first started lifting, I was told by my male friends/coworkers that I needed protein powder and pre-workout or I "wouldn't get enough out of my workouts" or some shit. They said the pre-workout was for explosiveness in the gym and the protein powder was for recovery. As if you can't recover without it.

Granted, at the time I had just gone off vegetarianism and did NOT meet my daily protein needs ever, but as I've eased into being a carnivore again, I probably hit my protein macro goals 45% of the time. That's also because I'm short and can't eat a TON of calories, so a convenient protein-packed drink that's ~150 cals is great for me to help me get the rest of the protein I need. I still take it right after workouts because in my mind it "helps me recover" faster, even though, let's be honest, I get DOMS no matter what...

@dawn16 I'm on the tall side, but also find it hard to ear enough protein without powder. Unless I eat 2 chicken breasts a day, I'm either going over my calories or under on protein. ):

@kobidobidog Not too mention hundreds over my calories. 5'0 girl here. I pretty much have to eat meat and salads to hit macros. Boring life man. That's why I don't have very visible abs.

@kobidobidog Yeah my bf is celiac and we have found many alternatives, but none are really to my standard of macros haha. He doesn't care tho he will eat the gluten free breads and pasta which is fine. I just make my own shit sometimes

@ibelong Lol, I had to convince my husband to not get protein powder. Conversation basically went: Dude, you eat more meat than anyone else I know and you're not even lifting weights regularly. Whyyyyyyyyyyy????

It's 2 or 3 times as expensive as in the US, and I was afraid that he'd simply gain weight from it, ha.

@m21820 Well it's one of the cheaper sources of protein here in the US. I eat less meat because the good shit is expensive, but if cost weren't a factor I'd have a ribeye every night. If I had two servings of protein powder in addition to eating lots of meats I'd probably gain weight tho.

@ibelong
Protein powder is really great if you have trouble reaching your macro nutrients, but other than that it doesn't do much. Don't believe supplement advertising saying it will build you magical muscles or make you superman.

I've never seen any protein powder advertise that. The protein powder I use (MTS Whey) advertises itself as that - whey protein.

But I've never heard to use protein as anything other than to get more protein in your diet for a fewer amount of calories. I guess I'm a little confused where people get this idea that it's needed and necessary.

@1seekingknowlege I think advertising and the way its sort of displayed gives people the idea. I've personally seen this sort of "you need whey" if you lift sentiment at the gym. I think some other people in this thread have had similar experiences.