Restarting working out after long hiatus

randron

Hi everyone - I am a 24 y/o trying to get back into my old habits of working out again. Doing a ton of remote work on my first year at the job had me not moving around as much as I always had (walking campus all day, being active w friends, running etc) for almost 7 months now. It became too easy to stay sitting down all day. I have been less active in these past 7 months than I ever have in my life.

Either way, I want to get back into working out again and after doing some beginner workouts I am really struggling with some super intense muscle stiffness and rigidity during my workouts. Literally into my first rep this morning had me needing to sit down because my legs became stiff boards and they basically just stopped working. Normally in the past I’ve just been able to push past that initial feeling of tightness and it would become a nice burn, but now my legs almost seize up? I’m assuming it’s from my period of sheer inactivity and my muscles are simply not used to working anymore.

My question is, how can I get rid of some of this stiffness so I can actually proceed through my entire workout without my muscles giving in? I don’t feel productive enough in my workouts anymore because I can’t get to the end. I have been trying to stretch (albeit maybe not enough) before my workouts and I feel pretty(?) hydrated so not sure if either of those factors could be contributing. I use to love that weakness I had in my legs post-workout but now it’s just a hindrance to even completing my workouts.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide :)