Shoe suggestions for a picky body type?

mango11

This may not be a solvable issue. My body is really picky with shoes. I have a very high arch, bad knees and really bad scoliosis, so I have to have really good support when I run. I went to get fitted at a running shoe store and they suggested these for my body type. Right now I'm running in a cheap pair of Reeboks I picked up from Rack Room Shoes when I was broke, and they're not that bad on my spine.

However, I'm starting to lift more and I'm doing CrossFit on my own and these shoes don't work well for lifting. I have Vibram Bikilas, but they give me the WORST foot cramps when I squat. I have to stop constantly and walk out the cramp. I wear them so regularly, I don't know why they would give me awful cramps. I have Chucks that I could lift in, but I really want to have one pair of shoes to bring to the gym with me. Is there anything out there that provides proper support for high arch/bad back and is good for lifting? Or should I just bring two pairs?

@mango11 When you say "running shoe store" do you mean a proper running store or do you mean a sports store that carries runners? The staff at those two types of stores tend to be worlds apart as far as knowledge and recommendations.

If you were at a running store and they watched how you walk in bare feet, looked at the wear on your old shoes and had a conversation with you about your concerns regarding your knees and back then I'd say go with the Ghosts.

If you were at a sports store and you were recommended the shoes without any kind of gait analysis I'd go get a second opinion.

@mango11 It might be worth finding out their return policy and buying them. A few days indoors at the gym shouldn't make so much wear you couldn't return them if you didn't like them.

@pescalona That's a good idea. I couldn't find anywhere in town that had anything in my size, so I'll have to get them online. Apparently, this place sells out of athletic gear every May.

@mango11 I too have Brooks.. not sure of the model, but I have very wide feet, so whichever their widest one is, that's mine. They have helped my metatarsalgia a LOT and I definitely recommend them. The best tip I know is to tie them every time.. no slipping on and off. Really use them. :)

@mango11 Brooks Ghost 5s are my jam. If you can splurge, get them. They're a little more rigid than some other brands, and my feet love that extra support. They hold up great, too.

@mango11 Have you tried shoes specifically made for over-pronation? I have a few of your issues and bought a pair of Brooks made for over pronating and they have really helped. I must warn you, the good ones are pricey, but they are definitely worth it imo.

@madria I haven't. I've been looking at NB Minimus Zeros, since they've been so highly suggested by everyone. I'll check out the Brooks though, thanks!!

@mango11 Brooks has quite a but and i Believe mizuno and asics do too. Also, if Vibrams hurt your feet any other minimalistic shoe will probably do the same.

@madria It's the toe separation that does it, I think. I used to have a pair of Asics until someone stole them off my front porch when I left them out to dry after running in the mud. I like them.

Back