Slow progress

derhodes5

Hi. I'm (M26) already working out for almost 1 year in the gym but I think I'm having slow progress in weight loss. I started last year November na 85kgs and yesterday I weighed 72kgs. I'm hitting the gym 3-4 times a week, started taking protein and been mindful of what I eat (I mainly cut down my sugar iand rice intake and been increasing my fibers and proteins). For my routine, I don't have any specifics kasi I just follow the WOD in my gym but it's mostly HIIT and circuit. Pero parang ang bagal pa rin ng progress. On the plus side I think nagdevelop yung back, leg, and arm muscle ko. I'm considering changing gyms to focus more on weight but honesly I'm still lost kasi di naman ako marunong gumawa ng sarili kong workout routine with all the information overload in the internet p,us I can't afford to hire a professional. Would greatly appreciate inputs from you guys.

@derhodes5 You lost 13kgs in 9 months. I lost like 20 kgs in a year and a half. I say you have a steady progress, but as you lose weight, it is said that metabolism also slows down.

@derhodes5 Hi, I think you're making decent progress here. Remember that muscle takes up a lot less volume compared to fat, that's because muscle is more dense. So for instance, if you were to lose 5kg of fat and gain 5kg of muscle, what would actually happen is you would appear smaller and have a more toned appearance. An example is when a scale isn't showing too much of a change, but your clothes are starting to fit better. That's why it's important to take measurements and progress photos to better understand your body composition.

@derhodes5 Are you tracking your progress?

May progressive overload ba?

Are you meeting your calorie goals? Sometimes guesstimating will lead you astray

Are you getting enough rest?

Are you hitting your protein goals? No, i don’t mean drinking 1 scoop of protein. I actually mean .8-1g of protein per bodyweight in pounds.

If you hit yes on all of these, you’ll make progress in no time! If no, consider being more disciplined.

Btw, 13kg in 9 months is great work.

@feroc +1 to being more attentive to calorie intake! Guesstimating will definitely lead you astray, especially if hindi ka naman maalam ng sobra sa kinakain mo. I started tracking my calorie intake months ago. Prior to this, I thought I was pretty good and conscious/mindful of the food I eat. When I started keeping a food diary though, I realized the volume of what I ate (which I thought was normal) was actually too much, kahit pa puro 'healthy' food kinakain ko. The unintentional overeating made me sluggish and I found myself in a weight loss plateau. Practicing more discipline rather than simply being mindful of what I ate helped my progress. Maybe you can try that rin and see how it goes? But I'd say your progress is pretty good as it is, tbh. 13kgs is a lot in under a year. Good work, OP!

@derhodes5 It seems na nasa stage ka na where weight has stabilized and initial noobie muscle gains was already gained. Your metrics has to change na, from raw weight to %body fat and amount of lean/skeletal muscle mass. Find a way where you can measure those. 1 year in is still short and I'm sure you have a lot of progress ahead.