Steroid Users Forever Have an Advantage

@caleb_m Anyone doubting the crazy effectiveness is ignorant. Shit I was on a fertility drug and my T levels went up 2x. I looked like an animal, was significantly stronger, and had what felt like endless stamina. Hormones are so powerful.

@caleb_m This is interesting because as someone who works out with a lot of people that have or use steroids when they cycle off it can be shocking how they just shrink over what seems like a week.

@caleb_m I wish studies like this also looked at their gut and organ health before and after steroid use. It would be interesting to see what long term use would do to your liver for example.

@caleb_m You get what you put in. Protein synthesis, say for all natural, around 27g at a time within a 4-6 hr period. Protein synthesis on anabolic is greatly increased, ie, the harder you work to break the muscle down while on anabolics, the larger and faster the gain. When you see all or most of gains gone when off, you know they didn’t work, meaning the user, not the anabolic.

@caleb_m What is the control group? Athletes who have lifted heavy and currently lift heavy? Are they sedentary? Or are they light weight gym goers.

This is important, because people using/used anabolic steroids, probably did not go easy in the gym, and probably still don’t. This would affect cellular structures.

Overall sample size is low.

@caleb_m I don’t understand physiology but are those not teeny tiny numbers that show barely any measurable impact especially with such a small sample size?

@nebula1 P-values are a way to quantify probabilities that it’s just chance. So a small p means there is less of a possibility that this finding was due to error.

@caleb_m
174 (101–206) and 140 (24–260) weeks

These are serious users, not people who "tried a cycle." Any dosage info?

I just got here 12 days ago ;) but my guess is that the mechanism of action is not hormonal per se, rather just increased tolerance to intense training. Again though just a guess from a noob.

@mbahchidinma
my guess is that the mechanism of action is not hormonal per se, rather just increased tolerance to intense training. Again though just a guess from a noob.

It’s both, but one is a primary effect and the other secondary. The substances changed the anatomy of the cell (myonucleanated Type IIs, increased satellite cells on Type Is). The former will result in increased peaks (sprints, power, etc) while the latter will result in greater capacities.

Dosages weren’t controlled for, just length of use. Three years is much longer than a single cycle, but not outside the realm of someone whose livelihood depends on performance. With the less than sophisticated testing of CrossFit, there could easily be someone in the ranks on gear for that long.

EDIT: it should also be noted that one of the groups were former users, meaning they no longer use. You can look around at some of the qualifiers this year… I’m thinking of a certain individual specifically, who has literally no neck… And you could say..”hey, maybe they use steroids in the past.”

@caleb_m A positive test for steroids is just be tip if the iceberg and really doesn’t tell us much about an athlete at all. Cycling on and off for long term gains and to avoid positive tests had been a part of steroids use for as long as steroids have been involved in competitive sports. This research is just more evidence to support that any use of banned substance at any time creates an edge. The onus is on the sport to keep up testing, currently a joke in CrossFit, and on the athletes for making the decision to use. A lot of jacked people got jacked through steroids long before competing in CrossFit, and were happy to celebrate anyone who lasts a drug test no matter how worthless the test. I don’t even know where I’m going with this, but I’m out little sport, there’s a lot more to the story for any athlete behind positive and negative tests.

Back