Taller ladies with very long femurs - Does Squatting Ever Get Easier?

@kidteen1 100% watch squat university, he’s amazing and so informative. I’m short but have proportionately long femurs and had to learn how to squat in a way that actually worked for my body.

@faithfulsteward7 Your trainer needs to update her training, tbh. That's very out of date.

I also have long long thighs and my knees definitely go over my toes. How could they not?

Your squat depth will 100% improve. What helped me most I think was yoga- which gave me greater hip flexibility and allowed me to move quads and hamstrings better. But also of course squatting. Goblet squats, frog squats, front squats, suitcase squats, back squats... all the squats essentially.

My favourite squat is definitely the sumo because it is the easiest for me to get the full ROM in. But my back squat game is strong now after years of practice. My knees go out over and beyond my toes and zero fucks are given.

@faithfulsteward7 I’m 182cm and I have never thought to measure my femur. Deadass, from my hip bone to the top of my knee is 55cm so that’s cool. Really focus on glute engagement. That’s a huge issue for most women but I think it almost goes doubly for us gangly girlies. It will help you focus on driving your butt back and grounding your feet and driving your knees out. Those three things together keep your knees from traveling forward and can help (but won’t completely fix) leaning too far forward. Squat university on YouTube has a lot of great videos about the different biomechanics of the big lifts and how anatomy may affect your stance/posture/depth.

@faithfulsteward7 From what my girlfriend says who is 5’10 it took her a lot longer and her squat isn’t gonna look as conventional as someone who’s not as much leg. It was hard for her to wrap her mind around even a regular body weight squat at first but she has zero issues now.

@faithfulsteward7 I'd get in trouble in Kung Fu all the time because my balance was so bad in the low stances. I couldn't sit upright because if I did, I topped over. I was told my core is weak, even though I had visible abs and could do more sit ups, leg raises and marine crunches than anyone else in the class. I looked online and found out it's because of my stupidly long legs and short torso, my balance is off badly. There's no way for me to do it without leaning forwards. It's doable, if I'm holding onto something as I go down, let go and I collapse. Let's also discuss knee pain that goes with it. If I kept going all the way down, eventually I'd get a shooting pain in my knee and I couldn't do any low stances for the next few weeks because of it.

@faithfulsteward7 Idk my exact measurements, but I struggled for years with my squats. I tried subbing in front squats, goblet squats, heels elevated, BSS, and leg presses, but eventually I realized that if I want to get better at the classic squat then I need to actually practice the classic squat, whether it feels right or not. It still feels awkward sometimes, but I finally managed to get up to a 155lb 1RM without compromising my form.

So yeah, it literally took years, but it's finally getting easier

@faithfulsteward7 Just reading this because I feel like I met my sisters.

I hate squats because I feel like I have way more elevation to achieve when coming out of it, and also have pathetically weak glutes.

@psalm24healing This. I just end up standing around waiting for squat racks at my gym so that I can try to squat and then hurt my back. So I finally said fuck it and I just do splits and lunges. I'm content.

@rmhoot Yes!! My back HATES squats but the other movements are fine and my legs are now finally stronger than they ever were since accepting my identity as a non-squatter :)

@faithfulsteward7 Also tall with long femurs and regular torso. Took me quite a while to figure it out but I do a stance that's about hip width or slightly wider, I wear squatting shoes, and use a high bar position.

From what I understand your knees can go over your toes. I wear knee wraps (I'm also in my late 30s and did long distance running for a decade so they're creaky).

I warm up significantly before squatting. Spanish squats, cossack squats, crescent lunges, leg swings. I also make sure to not skip my single leg accessories like lunges and box step ups.

@faithfulsteward7 I've got nearly the same measurements as you, and the struggle is real! It was very discouraging for me not even being able to lift the bar without falling over. It took me years to be in a place where I am confident and comfortabele, so it does get better!

In the end the 2 key things for me were heel elevation (small plate will work fine), and doing many many goblet squats to learn the movement, find your preferred stance and build strength. Don't be afraid to take it slow, form is much more important than how much you lift, and you can always add in some single leg work.
I've also had good experience with front squats, as the weight will be more forward naturally. But it has its own difficulties of course.

Your trainer might not be a great fit for you, they should at the very least be able to take your concerns seriously. Of course your knees will move forward, how else can you keep the weight over your foot? If you bend forward that much you will be doing good mornings instead of squats!

@faithfulsteward7 You don't have to be tall to have long femurs. I have them at 5'4. No it doesn't get easier for me. I have to fold in half to do low bar squats and have accepted it's just not for me. It feels compromising to be in the position. So I focus where I excell. The sumo deadlift. 300lbs at 125.

F them squats 🤣

Also, I have a short torso and small waist. I had to custom order a 3in small leather lever belt because the standard 4in belts are too thick. The 3in just barely fits between my ribs and hip bones. My body is not designed to do heavy barbell squats. I still attempt them. I do bulgarian split squats, but I don't lose sleep over it. I'm built to deadlift. And so I do.

@faithfulsteward7 For me they got “easier” as in I realized I needed to tweak my technique to make them more comfortable but they’re still incredible exhausting and i feel like it takes forever to get down. I low bar with my feet angled out.

@faithfulsteward7 Long femurs gang! I hated squats for 5 years! I wanted to quit over and over. They just never felt right. I eventually learnt that longer femurs makes for harder squats. I googled around and found that low bar, and a much more forward lean at your starting position would help.

Anyway, this guy really helped me understand how to work around my issues.

Also your trainer sounds ignorant.

@faithfulsteward7 Check out kneesovertoesguy on Instagram. Your knees will definitely go over your toes.

I’m the same heightish. Squats are tough but i think your trainers approach is hindering you.

Also might need to work on your hip flexors!

@faithfulsteward7 I'm fairly sceptical about your trainers approach. Your knees will move forward in a squat, probably beyond your toes, it's a mechanical requirement for a lot of people to be able to squat.

I've found Zack Telander's youtube videos on squatting helpful. He is a very tall olympic weightlifter who was not naturally great at squats so has had to work hard to develop and strengthen it. He has quite a few videos describing his 5min squat mobility routine. It's worked well for me.

That said if you simply don't want to squat there's lots of alternatives. Legs presses and Lunge variations will still strengthen your legs.

@whereami My feelings on trainers:

If you want to learn how to squat, deadlift, bench... Find a powerlifting gym. Not a trainer at a commercial gym. Most of them do not cut it.

I've been certified as a personal trainer before and I can tell you there's 0 teaching on technique, let alone discussions on adjustment for individual anatomy. Effective programming is also barely covered. Whatever I learned, I learned from a multiple time National Champion powerlifting coach. Renaissance periodization programming books. And youtube. 🤷‍♀️

OP, your knees can, should, and obviously need to go over your toes. Find a different trainer.

Besides that, lots of calf stretching and ankle mobility. Get some weightlifting shoes. Try placing the bar a little further up your back to get a "longer" torso (this may work well or may not work at all). Wide stance, definitely point your toes out a lot if you can - the angle of the knee should be in line with the angle of your foot, and of course your knee can go over your toes.

@hidden_one I can second this. I was working with a personal trainer for years and really stalled out on my squats for similar reasons (never figured out how to work around my short torso/long legs). I joined a powerlifting gym and started working with a powerlifting coach and he analyzed the shit out of my entire squat. I hit like a 45 pound PR and finally achieve depth consistently!