TDEE tracker you may find useful

@zenkai The Fitbit row is optional, you can ignore or hide/delete (move the charts first).

I use the metric system too but I got the initial formulas from the nsuns sheet so just stick with those. My scales flash up lbs and kilos so I just type in the lbs.

You could change the sheet formulas if you are good with Excel, or just change the conversion table at the top so you can plug in your weight in kilos, see what it is in lbs and put that into the main table.

@akashraletta Hey! So I think this is because I have more muscle mass than the average person with the rest of my stats. Not because I’m some kind of she-hulk but because I have been lifting for 3 years, and the average Fitbit user probably hasn’t. Obvs Fitbit doesn’t know my bf%, or at least doesn’t use it for calorie burn estimations.

We know that muscle burns more calories than fat at rest, so even if I were to become sedentary, I’d burn more calories than somebody else with my stats who hasn’t lifted weights (until my muscle started to atrophy).

Also, most of my scheduled exercise is either lifting or HIIT. I jog one 5k a week and do a pretty chilled yoga class. So for a large portion of my week I will have the small “afterburn” effect (EPOC) that you get from HIIT and lifting weights, however my heart rate would look normal and my Fitbit has no way of knowing.

When I’m lifting weights and my heart rate is in the “fat burn” range, for all my Fitbit knows I’m just walking around.

Additionally, when I’m doing HIIT my heart rate goes right up to 180+, but my Fitbit can never keep up with the intervals and records it at 115-125 for the duration of the exercise, which I know is wrong (checked with treadmill and by taking my pulse). It’s only a few minutes a week but still will contribute towards underestimated cals!

I’m not sure why it would overestimate for others, but probably a mixture of the above. Less muscle mass than average, maybe lots of steady state cardio which is notoriously difficult to calculate accurate calorie burn for but is well rewarded by Fitbit?

Tbh I don’t really know, but I have read the muscle mass theory on another thread before and it does make sense!

I have a Fitbit Alta HR btw :)

@seekinganswersinlife I would love it if it worked with metric, but apparently it doesn't? (or I'm just failing hard at life right now) Using a conversion daily is not worth the hassle for me. :(

It looks really good though! Although -fellow data nerd chiming in- crude estimations will not average out. Considering it's a finite measurement series (opposed to infinite), noise is not cancelled out per se and errors won't be averaged out per se. Obviously it will average out enough for this purpose, but strictly mathematically speaking, it does not.

@christroy I use the metric system too but I just adapted this sheet from the nsuns one and didn’t change the main TDEE formula so I kept everything else the same. Handily my scales flash up with lbs and then kgs so just stuck with the imperial system but still know my weight in kg. I made this for me so didn’t think about adapting, was just sharing. But what I should’ve done is a separate tab for kgs and you can choose!

Well yes I know, mathematically speaking, you’re still making stuff up. I’m an analyst so stats are my jam also :) Because we can never actually be 100% sure of the calories we are eating (farmers/suppliers are allowed a certain amount of error so we can easily be +/- 10-15% on any given day even when we think we tracked perfectly), we are sort of estimating calories each day anyway.

So I mean the odd day where your estimation is a bit further out isn’t going to mess up your TDEE estimation! Which was my gist for these purposes, I just worded it badly :)

Back