The MOST delicious homemade protein bars

avid108

So recently, I bought a bunch of chocolate protein that I don't like much (why oh why did I stray from vanilla?!), and was on the hunt for recipes to use it up. I've made protein bars before, and they didn't impress me much (cue Shania Twain), but I stumbled across this recipe and thought it didn't look too bad.

So I took the plunge and made them, and WOW THEY ARE DELICIOUS. I even fed one to my roomie who claims not to like protein powder and she thought it was a brownie. I made slight alterations to the recipe, as follows:
  • 1 cup dates
  • 1 cup almonds
  • 3/4 cup protein powder (I used Vega chocolate)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
  • 4 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I started with 2 tbsp, I think it depends on the protein powder you're using)
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  1. Place dates in food processor and process until pea-like consistency is reached.
  2. Add in nuts and continue processing until dates and nuts are finely ground.
  3. Add in protein powder, cocoa powder, salt, peppermint extract and almond milk and process until a well-combined sticky ball is formed.
  4. Take a 9 x 9 inch baking dish and line with plastic wrap.
  5. Place bar mixture into dish and flatten, making sure the top is even.
  6. Place in freezer for at least 15 mins.
  7. Remove from freezer and lift plastic wrap out of dish.
  8. Cut into 12 bars.
  9. Store in fridge or freezer.
Seriously, these are so good. Best protein dessert I've ever made. Let me know what you think if you make them too!

edit: fixed type of almond milk

@avid108 Have you had Vega's Vanilla Chai? It's my favorite they do. I throw some stuff in my shakes to tone down the Stevia, but otherwise, I think it's pretty tasty stuff.

@avid108 I almost didn't click on this because I assumed it wouldn't be vegan friendly, but I'm glad I did--these look so good, thanks so much for sharing! I've made almost the exact same thing with oats instead of almonds but I bet almonds would taste even better :)

@shongy19 Haha I did the same thing, vegan surprise!

I have some icky rice protein powder too, I think I'll try making bars out of them now.

@dreadnought I see I should have put "vegan-friendly" in the title :) I'm actually not even vegan but I LOVE vegan food and I like vegan protein powder better than whey. I feel less weird about it even though I still feel weird about protein powder in general, haha. Have you guys ever made any recipes from Oh She Glows?? I bought her cookbook and I LOVE it.

@avid108 Thank you for sharing this recipe! I will for sure try it! Did you figure out the calories/macros? If not, I'll calculate it when I eventually make these. :)

@gammajoyce yes! Here are the calories & macros for the exact recipe that I made. Due to the dates I must warn everyone that these are NOT low carb. The macros/cals will also probably differ depending on the protein you use!

@kcarrington1 Hmm, I don't know! I didn't find these bars THAT sweet since there is no added sugar.. and I really like dates.. maybe prunes or figs? That wouldn't help with the carb aspect, though. Sorry!!

Back