Tips from experience: how I ended years of stagnation

@dbirdez I have been doing PPL for years now. The set up hasn’t changed at all. What does get changed is the exercises and rep ranges. I change exercises only when I’ve stalled for over a month despite checking all my boxes and doing everything right. I just change the variation — the movements are staples. For example, push day always has one horizontal press, one incline press, and one vertical press.

@clarissa_
A great workout is one that builds on the previous session, and sets you up for continued progress on the next.

I'm having some trouble with this one. I'm in kind of the same situation as you, but I feel stuck here. I'm not always able to have a 'better' session than previously, and I'm not sure what to do about that, since I guess it's also expected. Still: not sure how it affects the training realistically.

For example: a week ago I had a session where I did 4x1080, for example. This week I could barely make it to 1080 for the first set, let alone the other three.

So do I need rest or do I need to 'push through' or whatever, and make progress no matter how you do it.
Could an approach where you hang around at a certain level for a bit before moving up in weight or reps work?

@arrows Your expectations on progression will vary based on how advanced you are. Progress comes slower the longer you've been lifting.

If you can't repeat the same workout the next time, and this is happening consistently, you should probably make a change:
  • If you're feeling like you aren't recovered from the previous session, then try dropping the volume on that exercise and see if that gets you unstuck
  • If you're feeling fresh or even just okay, then maybe you need to increase the volume for that exercise to start progressing again

@arrows If you are resting enough between sessions and not maintaining your strength or becoming stronger, perhaps you aren’t eating enough? It takes a lot of calories to gain muscle.

@dawn16 Nah I’m eating enough (around 3500 @ 187cm/6’2). If anything I should be doing a cut soon, since my stomach fat is beginning to bother me again. I’m 85kg and my scale says im around 18% bf (probs more around 22 tbh), so I should have some energy stored in the trunk.
Resting helps, but I’ve got four sets to work though, so that’s not really a viable option. Maybe for the next cycle I’ll drop the volume a bit.

@clarissa_ Only some lifts. Two days ago I fel short by three reps (out of 10) for my bench, but my OHP increased by 4x2 reps ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Today I did the same 4x8*48 Bulgarian Split squat as last week, but the weights felt ten times as heavy. So while I repeated the same workout as last time, I didnt ‘build upon it’, so to say. I’m worried it’s is a problem to hover at a certain weight a bit before increasing it.
And after four sets I’m absolutely exhausted, so increasing the volume is not really an option.

Food, sleep and stress are all as good as I am able to make them. Can’t see much room for improvement there, without making changes I don’t want to (like not staying over for dinner at somebody’s place).

@arrows At the end of the day, we want more mechanical tension on a muscle, not simply more reps.
If you keep plateauing on the same exercise time and again, it may be that you’re “progressing” too fast on that exercise. It’s too easy to make micro adjustments in form over time to get more reps, giving you the false impression that you’re so far along in your progress. Eventually it catches up with you. For example, on bench it could be anything from bouncing the weight to lifting the hips. If that’s the case, I’d advise you to reduce the weight and focus on technique more. More mechanical tension can be achieved with the same weight over time, and it can even be achieved with less weight.

@clarissa_ I had a deload week a couple of weeks ago. Dropped the weight by 75% or so and everything felt amazing.
Mind muscle connection, control, and a sort of glowing feeling afterwards.

I have taken this as a sign in the past to lower the weight a bit, but that just leads to a downward spiral where I keep lowering the weight which doesn’t seem right.
I do take clips of myself to check my form, and it doesnt look like I’m cheating anywhere.

Right now Im trying out to be patient. Before this I always went to immediately trying to fix the problem. For now I’m curious to see what happens if I just try to keep matching my PR consistently, for at least two or three weeks. Never did that before.

@arrows Btw, 2 things. 1) you’re not married to any specific exercise. If you keep running into walls on one of them, try another variation — there are many great horizontal pressing variations! 2) not all workouts are great workouts. That’s OK! Don’t misunderstand me and have these unrealistic expectations that every workout will be that way, it’s just the goal. Life matters too.

@clarissa_ On 1): yeah I know, thanks :). It's just that I feel like I need to stick with this for a bit. I really enjoy doing it, and it just started to feel nice as well. Also want to avoid chasing newbie gains for the rest of my life. I've got two weeks left. I might make a change after that.
2) Ah thanks. Yeah that was the confusion. I also keep forgetting the regression to the mean is also a thing that happens.

@clarissa_ I count sloppy reps by noting that they're sloppy. Nothing wrong with a slightly sloppy rep if you don't delude yourself that it was great, but it's a decent way to get really close to or past failure, or better and more accurately track your progress.

Obviously only on lifts that you won't injure yourself on, and not absolutely balls to the wall terrible form, but like if I can't get it up 100% but can get it to 90% and then 80%, well that's still something and could still benefit you. Or if you fail but can cheat a tiny bit and get it up and control the eccentric portion of the lift then you're going past failure or allowing those other fibers a chance to fully exhaust themselves.

I get the broad advice not to cheat and not to count sloppy reps, because one extreme, perfect form always, will get you good gains while only using bad form and cheating and counting sloppy reps is likely to result in injury and probably not a lot of gains, but there's an in-between there which is strategically using not perfect form or cheating a little or counting not perfect reps that can benefit you more than either of the extremes.

Other than that, glad to see that I'm doing all of these things already. Thanks for the tips!

@clarissa_ I’m 35, and just six months back at it from a seven year hiatus. I must be Bizzaro you, as thanks to select YouTube channels I’ve finally grasped more than the 5x5/linear progression/minimalist cult I was part of in 2012-2015.

@clarissa_ Honestly this post really resonates with me and my own recent experience. I'm 32 and in the past six months I've advanced more with my lifting than I have in the past 5-6 years.

For me it really comes down to your first point, dedication to a lifting program. I strictly do to strength training, as for me 3 days a week is easier to balance around a busy work-life schedule, compared to most bodybuilding routines, such as PPL.

My go to was stronglifts, which I have done in the past, although my progression would stall due to injury, not eating enough, going out at the weekends and not picking it back up for a few days, basically a perfect storm that contributed to a combined lack of gains.

This time around I have experienced so much linear progression that I'm now lifting heavier than I ever have. I stuck to SL until I plateaued, when 5x5 became too intensive and not realistic at the heavier loads. Now I've swapped to a more intermediate program and I couldn't be happier as I continue to see the progress.

Lots of the points you have raised are factors that have played a part in my own success. The major one being getting enough calories. Without a doubt one of the most important aspects, otherwise there's no way I would have achieved so much progress. In the past I always felt like I was eating enough, when in reality it was far from it. I'm a naturally skinny guy with a fast metabolism. In the past it felt like a losing battle until I eventually found out how to get in the extra calories in a 'manageable' way. For me this came in the form of shakes & making sure I wasn't too busy and missed meals.

I also like your point about not ego lifting. For me I just stick to the weight in my program. The last time I decided to go for a new squat PR it set me back a few days, not that I'm saying trying out a PR is a bad idea, however in time you are likely to achieve it by sticking to the progress.

@tholmes12 That’s awesome, congrats on the progress! It’s amazing how the basic things have such an impact over the long run. Sticking to a program was arguably the hardest thing for me, mainly because I would hop from bodybuilding style training to powerlifting style training. I’d get so frustrated at the lack of results not realizing that it takes time… lots of it. Now I’m in full muscle building mode and reading about strong lifts and training 3x reminds me of the beauty in that style of training and gives me that twitch to switch it up again. But I wont… Gonna stick it out with the goal of building a solid physique and then maybe down the road switch back.

@clarissa_ I definitely fell out of love with it to the point that going was a chore. Now I'm back to it & loving every session, focusing on that progression. At the end of the day, do what suits you - I used to thoroughly enjoy PPL too, I think it just comes down to whatever works for you. If you want to work muscle everywhere, then do bodybuilding, otherwise if its strength, then powerlift. There's no wrong way and as you say you can always switch it up down the line

Thanks for taking the time to write the post. It's funny, it feels like it's all fairly common sense, yet I feel like the only way to properly take heed to this type of advice is by making the mistakes in the first place, at least that was the case for me.. 😃