Took your guys' advice and built myself a custom program, feedback welcomed

wmsgil

I made a post last week about my physique plateau and a lot of people suggested I build my own program, so I built myself a modified PPL program. It's my first time building a program so I wanted to get some feedback.

Program Details​

• arm is a focus and trained every other day (2 direct arm sessions, 2 indirect), achieved this by swapping biceps/triceps on the upper days so I can train them fresh
  • rest day is turned into an active recovery day, or what I call the underdog day, where I train the neglected muscles: abs, forearms, calves, and neck
  • yes I'll be in the gym everyday, but I'm okay with that as it's my only time being active, I'm almost always sedentary outside the gym
  • Push Legs Pull Underdog, repeat (4 day asynchronous cycle)
  • volume is on the lower side, this is to address my high volume tendencies and to experiment with lower volume and a focus on progressive overloading/getting stronger
  • double progression on all lifts
  • 0 RIR (can be a bit of a grinder but no form breakdown) on the last set, 1 RIR on the rest (there are exceptions like SLDL/RDL which I'll only take to 1 RIR)
  • no predetermined deload days, I'll take a week off when I feel fatigued

SS = superset

For volume, I only counted primary-mover sets

Push A​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

6-10, 6-12
Reverse Grip Bench (smith machine) SS Hammer Curl

6-10, 6-12
AD/High Incline Press (smith machine) SS Incline Curl

6-10
Weighted Dips

12-18
Cable Lateral Raise

Volume
Chest
Delts
Bicep

Total: 14

Leg A​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

6-8
Hack Squat

6-8
Stiff Leg Deadlift

6-10
Bulgarian Split Squat

8-12
Seated Leg Curl

12-15
Adductor Machine

Volume
Quads
Hams
Adductor

Total: 10

Pull A​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

6-10, 8-12
Weighted Pull Up SS EZbar Skull Crusher

6-10, 8-12
Single Arm DB Row SS Long Rope Pushdown

8-12
DB Pullover

10-15
Reverse Pec Deck

Volume
Back
Delts
Tricep

Push B​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

6-10, 6-12
DB Flat Bench SS Preacher EZbar Curl

6-10, 6-12
DB Incline Bench SS Preacher Hammer Curl

6-10
Seated DB OHP

12-18
Cable Lateral Raise

Volume
Chest
Delts
Bicep

Leg B​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

6-8
Leg Press

6-8
Romanian Deadlift

6-8
Hip Thrust

8-12
Leg Extension

8-12
Lying leg curl

Volume
Quads
Hams
Glutes

Total: 10

Pull B​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

6-10, 8-12
Weighted Neutral Grip Pull Up SS JM Press (smith machine)

6-10, 8-12
Hammer Strength Iso Row SS Overhead Tricep Extension

6-10
Trap Bar Shrug

10-15
Cable Rear Delt Fly

Volume
Back
Delts
Tricep

Underdog​

Sets
Rep Range
Exercise

AMRAP
Hanging Knee Raise

8-12
Rotate between Decline Sit Up and Cable Crunch each session

8-15
Wrist Curl SS Reverse Wrist Curl

up/down 3 times, 8-12
Wrist Roller SS Calf Raises (Leg Press Machine)

10-20
Neck Flexion

10-20
Neck Extension

Volume
Abs
Forearm
Calves
Neck

Total: 22

Total Volume (over 8 days)​

Muscle Group
Volume

Chest

Back

Delts

Tricep

Bicep

Forearm

Quads

Hams

Glutes

Adductor

Calves

Abs

Neck

@wmsgil Since you're wanting to focus on arms, one thing I'd also consider is switching to torso/arms/legs instead of push/pull/legs. That's: chest/back, bis/tris/shoulders, legs. I think this split usually gives much better arm development than even arm-emphasized PPL. You definitely don't have to, but if you really want bigger arms, I do think it's worth considering.

Also, personally, I think you'll get better return swapping 1 hammer curl variation to another supinated variation. You do a lot of neutral/pronated work when you factor in compounds (even though those are obviously not fully stimulative), so focusing on your biceps a bit more might give you better returns for arm size. I'd just swap preacher hammers to traditional standing curls and do those before your supinated preacher curls to warm up the elbows for preachers.

On your leg days, consider putting your leg curl variation first to warm everything up. Personal preference thing obviously, but it helps a lot of people.

For glutes, since you're doing so little volume, I'd consider swapping in glute-focused split squats or lunges (really long stride). The crazy stretch under weight on these can make them super stimulative for low volume, unlike hip thrusts which have I'd argue require more sets for comparable effect. I think 2 sets of these will net you great adductor and glute growth compared to 2 sets of hip thrusts.

But overall I think you did a good job with your first program! Nice exercise variety, decent volume, advanced construction with it being 8 days I still would like a dedicated rest day though, just to be safe with your hormone levels. Not everyone is good at detecting that their cortisol is through the roof necessarily lol.

@ainigma
Since you're wanting to focus on arms, one thing I'd also consider is switching to torso/arms/legs instead of push/pull/legs

I actually ran this before (GVS ravage). I found that on torso days the systematic fatigue is a little too high for my liking. But tbh I had a lot of fatigued built-up when I ran it briefly so maybe I shouldn't dismiss it so quickly. If you ran this split before, what's your experience like?

Also, personally, I think you'll get better return swapping 1 hammer curl variation to another supinated variation

I think this is a good call.

I'll think about the tip on glutes as well, thanks!

@wmsgil I ran torso/arms/legs 6x a week when I first started lifting. My arms ballooned faster than any other body part, but to be fair systemic fatigue from compound lifts on torso day was obviously much lower due to lower weights.

@wmsgil I'll give some feedback here:

You need a rest day. Don't burn youself into the sun by never giving your body a break. It will come back to haunt you. You can spend one day a week not at the gym for anything but light cardio.

You shouldn't be supersetting large, heavy, compound movements. Especially since you're taking up more than one machine and bench to do it. Especially with triceps and pullups - your long head is actually used in the movement minorly.

You'd be better off putting a curl in the push day AND the pull day, instead of just doubling up on pullday. Your triceps should either stay in push or be moved to your leg day - you're hitting a push day RIGHT AFTER frying your triceps. That's not a good idea. Biceps are barely used in pull exercises if done correctly (except Chin ups) and they can be done 3-4x a week easily...because they heal fast. Triceps are different because they're used heavily in push exercises, but they should be kept more higher-rep.

Hamstrings only need exercise per session. You don't need RDL then leg curls. Do leg curls one day, and RDL the other. I fell into this trap myself...hamstrings dont' need that much volume. Hipthrusts are kind of suboptimal for glutes...you'd be better with sumo squats or lunges.

I would put more side-delt exercises in Pull days also. Side Delts aren't hit by many compounds and heal incredibly fast. You can work them 3-4x a week easily.

Adductor machine is a bit weird. Leg Press always fries though for me.

Maybe I'm weird - but why can't you do the underdog exercises sprinkled into the other days? Working them once a week is not enough volume.

@wmsgil I might have missed it but I couldn't find the calf exercises.
Calf raises are important for my own training and I always do them first because they help with my ankle mobility, which improves my squat depth.

Other than that small note I find it a solid program.

Back