Unconventional exercise

alcwj

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but I struggle to get back into exercising after a draught. I was doing intense two-a-days 7 days/week for years

Morning run: either a HIT variation that consisted of 2-3mi alternating between 0.5mi at a 5min/mi pace & 0.25mi at a 10-12 min/mile pace, 4 miles progressively increasing pace [9 min, 8 min, 7 min, 6 min], or 6 miles at a slower 8-9 min/mile pace…

Afternoon lift: 40-60 min, alternated muscle groups and exercises. Sometimes I’d hit the heavy bag, or rowing machine to mix things up.

After developing IBD, I really struggled to get good exercise in and pretty much stopped entirely. Exercise was intrinsically linked to music and pushing myself hard, and it simply is not gratifying otherwise.

I realize this is something I need to deal with and not a good reason to neglect good exercise. I’ve been back at it for a month, and easing back in is a challenge. Light exercise feels like a chore, but I know even if I have a string of good days, going all out is not ideal.

I’ve been trying to get hard workouts in 2-3 days a week, provided I’m feeling good, but the rest of the week is so boring. I’m an expert skier & got up to our cabin last weekend. After ripping chutes, dense trees with lots of powder, and mini-van sized moguls, I realized I can get great exercise outside the gym & engage muscles that are hard to hit.

Hoping to make my light days more enjoyable by doing unconventional exercises, this is what I’ve come up with thus far:

-Rockwall & bouldering gym (damn nice for its price, 30-40 min away)

-Batting cages (haven’t taken swings in years, but I played high school ball & remember how beat up I felt after a lot of consecutive reps)

-Trail running (Hike the way I ski, if it’s not challenging, it’s boring. Would have to drive 8hrs to lake/ski cabin for that, but I can trail run some local stuff with grades that are

@alcwj This is out there but when I was in a slump, I found a workout online called the Sledgehammer workout. Idk if it’s still around so check Google. But it’s basically you buy a big/medium sledge hammer and you do “functional” movements such as chopping wood, shoveling, slowly swinging in different directions

It helped me get out of a slump and feel like a Viking warrior at the same time

Back