Urgently need an exercise that is not push up or abs, leg required

Once my kid could hold his head up, he also loved planking while I 'bench pressed' him. Constant giggles, just watch out for drool.

@marimur Floor Yoga.

I know it's easy to be mystified by all of Yoga's positive vibes, but it really is all about harmonizing to yourself. I only say this because I understand most exercising comes with a feeling of progress, where yoga just really doesn't.

I'm also Mr. Broken. I don't 'practice yoga'. But I do focus on what yoga advertises. True strength. The communications between your brain and body has a direct correlation to the strength produced by the body.

I haven't been able to really push the ups, or do the squats for years now without hurting myself. The main 'exercise' I do is walk. Everything else is some form of stretching or form posturing. Yet I feel stronger than I was back when I got all beat up in the first place.

@marimur Arms, abs and thighs are sore… can you do hip raises? It’ll work out your hamstrings and glutes. Other wise rest day including stretching and or go for a brisk walk to get a little sweat and blood flowing.

@marimur Use a rest day between workouts. That Dosnt mean you do nothing. Just take a rest day and maybe do some stretches mix in with a slight brisk walk around the block. You have the right idea alternating between muscle groups. But at the beginning, it will seem hard, it dosnt sound like too little. You have a good amount with a new baby (congratulations! Hop wife is doing well too) so just stick to your plan rn mixed in with rest days/low intensity stretches and maybe some light cardio. No shame in not cutting abit back whenever you feel extra fatigue as long as you make up for it with a full day sometime later. Good luck!!!

@marimur
  1. Start with incline push-ups (against a table or bed or something) - that way you can do decent form until your strength is up. And you could always do cardio for today, like a jog, swim, ride or something

@marimur Try resting your muscles, if you try to workout too often near your max you won't see any progress, just increase your chances of hurting something, just do some stretching and have a walk or jog

@marimur Depends whether you want to pay for something but I got GMB's Elements programme and used that around the time we had our first kid. It got me moving better as well as stronger, and was useful for just committing 30 mins or so per day. You'll definitely appreciate being able to move around better on the floor once your kid is a little older!

Source: 41yo father of two young kids who loves to play around with them on the ground

@marimur Do push ups from your knees, you'll still get some work in but it won't suck as much. Crunches are also good because you can exercise your abs multiple days in a row and still be ok.

Edit- You can still get some work in and recover as long as you get good quality sleep and get the right nutrition in. Quality will always beat quantity when it comes to fitness.

Edit for my edit- Make sure to warm up and get your heart going (do not stretch) before the workout and do some light stretches (should not hurt) after exercising.

@marimur Cool goal. Really good to focus on that process of iterating toward a really good routine rather than getting the perfect training plan from day one.

Upper pushing, squat, and abs all toast? So you can do upper pull, hip hinge, or calves?

Bodyweight rows on a table or doorframe?
Hip thrusts (flat/incline/decline/on your toes/hanging onto something with your hands)
Cobras/back extensions
Calf raises.
Grab a heavy thing (how much does your baby weigh?) to use for bicep Curls or jefferson Curls.

@marimur Soreness, while alleviated by continued exercise, is more likely to be alleviated by adequate stretching, warm-ups and cool-downs. Focus on that and give your body rest, you should have at least a day of rest between resistance training days.

For a body weight routine for beginners, I found I really liked some variation of the following:

Push ups

Squats

Pull-ups/inverted rows

Lunges.

That will get a good basis built, and by doing 3 sets of 5,6 or 8 will help develop a routine and foundation, plus it doesn't take too long to complete! The best part about these exercises is you can adjust or modify to make them easier or harder, so for push-ups you can start by using your knees, squats you can put a chair below you at the bottom for a minor resting point, pull-ups can be modified with inverted rows (easiest), chair-assisted pull-ups (easier), and negatives (not so easy but very effective).

@marimur Try some back exercises, somebody mentioned rows, but honestly those are hard without equipment. I would try Superman holds. Basically you lay on your stomach with your arms out in front of you. Then you lift your arms and legs off of the ground using your back muscles. Hold it as long as you can, like a plank. No equipment needed :)

Back