[WEEKLY THREAD] Feats of Thorsday! Share your achievements with us! Don't be shy!

@keep
"Um, are you sure you should lift that, it's quite heavy you know..."

Yes bro, that's the point. All I see in my head is myself running up to a guy about to deadlift and going, "Oh my goodness, did you need some help with that?! Are you trying to lift that all by yourself?! It's so heavy!"

@getupjohnnyboy I lost a LOT of motivation recently, and didn't lift for all of last month, and most of the month before. I've been running and doing body weight exercises at home, but I've really missed lifting and it's showing physically.

So I took some initiative and went to the gym on Tuesday night, and recorded a personal best for my bench press! I managed to do a full 5 reps of 25kg, which is amazing! I'm also still at my normal squatting range (48-50kg) despite not doing any weighted squats for a while. Feels good to be back into it again.

@getupjohnnyboy I'd gotten ill, but was just beginning to feel better last night so I gave my workout a try. I'd been deloading some of my weights, but am now back up to where I'd been. Even still coughing and congested, I squatted 130 almost 5x5, and got all five reps in without rounding on my deadlift at 165! I can't wait to see what I do on Friday!!! Been lifting since August, SL 5x5.

Great lifts! And I really don't want to be a buzzkill, so I hope you don't interpret it as such, but please be careful lifting when you're sick, at least if the coughing goes down to your lungs! You might end up prolonging your illness period. :/

And remember, if you're infectious (coughing) you really shouldn't be in a gym, where you could spread the germs to others.

Take care and get well soon!

Thanks for your concern! My gym is my guest room, so no contaminating others there :) I've (finally!) got a power cage, so if I had to fail something I could just drop it. Yesterday morning when the alarm went off for lifting, I said, "Oh hell no" and got another 1.5 hours sleep before work. By the end of the day, I was feeling like I could try it. My worry is that I don't have much of an appetite, but it's not worth lifting if you don't feed your muscles, so I'll be choking down the protein today anyway. I was surprised when I lifted that I was able to get up to my work weights - I was mentally prepared to just make one of my warmup sets my work weight, but I was feeling ok so I kept pushing it. Again, I appreciate the advice! I'm still pretty new to lifting (but not working out) and it takes a whole new level of listening to your body!!!

Oooh your own power cage - I am jealouuuuus!

Yeah it is like you say, the main thing is to listen to your body, and if it feels like you can do it then do it! But if you at any point during the exercise feel like you need to rest then you should do that too - just be conservative! :)

@getupjohnnyboy It's been a good week:

On Tuesday I hit 500 consecutive days of running (a minimum of one mile per day).

On Monday I hit bodyweight on my deadlift (132lbs) after 2 months of lifting and there was a lot more left in the tank :)

On Sunday I was doing a flying trapeze session which saw me make really good progress in technique, but I was really, really pleased with the fact that the instructor turned around to me at the end and told me that next session he was going to get me doing some more tricks because I'm 'really strong' and can definitely deal with some more hardcore stuff.

victory dance

@delta77 Thanks! I'll always be 154 days behind my fiance (when he started it I laughed and called him crazy) so I never really think of my number as amazing, but hitting that milestone made really realise it is pretty good :)

Running every day has been an interesting (and positive) experience that has entirely changed my outlook on life and what I do with my time :D

@virtuouswife2324 Thanks :)

It's been a learning curve, and I have been injured, but not because I run every day.

1)
I started really slowly. I was probably running about 20 miles per week when it started. I dropped it right down to 7-10 miles per week for the first few weeks and stuck to the 10% rule fairly religiously.

2) If I felt any kind of niggle I dropped back down to a mile only. I really learned to listen to my body and learned what kind of stretches (post-run only) actually helped me. I run in minimal shoes so I focus a lot on my calves. My stretching routine is short but very efficient.

3) Once I got up to around 30 miles per week, I maintained 2-3 days where I only ran 1 mile (I still do - they're often running to another fitness session). I rarely run long runs on consecutive days.

4) I mix up what I do - I have 4 pairs of shoes and try not to do too many runs in the same ones in a row. I run different routes and different terrains. I do speedwork with my running club, long slow runs, short quick runs. I've been struggling to fit runs in recently and haven't been switching it up as much and I'm feeling it in the calves.

5) I have regular (once a month) sports massage. It really helps. I also have a good relationship with my foam roller.

Injuries

I also have a good relationship with a very understanding physio!

Since starting I have had a few issues with ITBS. This wasn't overuse so much as it was overdoing it on the hills. I ran a Hell Runner (Tough Mudder type thing) followed by a hilly 10 mile road race the next day. My glutes were in bits before the 10 miler so it was stupid to have started. I ended up on 2 months of 7 mile weeks and considered quitting for a while.

I was struck down by ITBS again 4 months later at mile 18 of the London Marathon. I finished - I only carried on because I knew what it was and knew it was essentially just pain. I spent two days basically sitting in pigeon pose and it was pretty much okay. I ran Edinburgh marathon 5 weeks later and my knee was fine. The (very slow) run the day after was, erm, painful!

It's interesting actually, because its made me realise that telling newbie runners to 'listen to their body' isn't very helpful... I can listen to mine but only because I know what its telling me.

This week I had my first swimming lesson since I was a kid. It was mostly stroke correction and learning to breathe properly, but something I've always wanted to learn is how to do the turn at the end of a lap. I couldn't get it during my class but after my workout today I popped into the pool to practice and managed it 3 times! I still haven't got the breathing right so couldn't keep swimming after the turn, but ar least I know I can do it now, after so long wishing it! The breathing improvements my instructor made also mean I'm improving how many strokes I take before breathing. As a singer my main goal with swimming is breath control so I'm really pumped about that too!

In lifting I got 65kg for 5 reps. Feeling pretty confident of hitting my 70kg 5-rep goal by the end of the year :) pull-ups also progressing.. Looking forward to doing 1 unassisted sometime in the next month or two!

@dawn16 Trust me it doesn't come naturally to me at all. My body type is very swimmer/dancer like and yet I'm a very uncoordinated flailer. Why must my body betray me like that? WHY?!

Back