Weekly Question Thread - Week of 3/9/2020

@paparazi257 I've noticed I can hit around 40 sets for chest and back in a week each and I recover fine with no issues. I don't feel worn out or anything and I hit either biceps or triceps every day alternating as well.

I hit chest and back atleast 3 times and 4 times a week respectively. So it's high frequency high volume and I take almost all sets to failure

Can I just keep doing this and inc volume according if I can keep handling this workload untill I start feeling shit and then back off the volume a bit and stay in that sweet spot and milk all gains?

For more information Ive been lifting for two years but I never really ate properly so for the first time I'm actually eating slightly higher than maintenance and making gains. I'm only into bodybuilding and I don't bench or deadlift or squat.. I don't do legs (atleast for the next two months).. so for the two months I just want to do just upper body.

@cheberur How do you know that 40 sets a week is necessary for you to get gains?

What if they stopped at 15 - 20?

Also, what is your RPE? I find it hard to believe that you're able to do 40 sets a week and be fine. Surely your effort isn't that high?

@cheberur I was just playing devils advocate.

It could end up saving you time and effort. Most studies show going over 20 sets just results in more acute inflammation which is often mistaken for better gains.

@cheberur you could do a variety of deadlifts to hit your legs in different ways, another thing you could do is goblet squats with your heels raised in order to hit your quads more!

@dawn16 There's no exercise to modify bone structure.

That said, I hit lateral raises twice a week. Having good tri's/bi's and being lean enough also makes your delts pop much more.

@courtneyr I know it doesn’t, i just stated that to say that i need to emphasize them more given that facts. I have very good arms already, they are my strength

@dawn16 Probably no less than twice and no more often than four times. But because of how little training them impacts other muscles, you've got a lot of freedom to choose.

@paparazi257 Just starting to get into natural bodybuilding. Been lifting for years and have had some success but I’m looking to take this seriously. I’m not looking to compete, but building an amazing physique is a personal goal of mine. I want to see what I can do! I’m no beginner by any means, but the vast amount of information I’ve consumed from influencers, reading, research is difficult to parse through. There is lots of conflicting information and almost everyone on YouTube is taking PEDs.

For some background, I’m 25. 6ft 0in. 225 lbs.

My question is, how should I be training? High volume or low volume? I’ve heard lots of different tales here for natural lifters. I’ve heard people say when you’re on gear, the most important thing is to get a good pump. I’ve heard people say when you’re natty, you need to focus on high volume workouts (20-25 sets per muscle group) to really tear the muscle fibers and promote muscle growth. But I’ve also heard conflicting opinions for both styles. It’s hard to get good information and I’m looking to really optimize my training. Any suggestions for me?

@gbeach Try a high volume routine, and eat in a calorie deficit. Somewhere around 180-190 you'll be at a good, lean body comp. You could get there in as soon as 4 months if you really go at it.

The not-so-fun reality is that as a natural, you are limited to how much muscle you can and will ever build. Conditioning is key above all else. You want to reach the best conditioning that you can walk around @ year round while still enjoying your existence.

Also the single biggest thing of all, don't overthink it. Lift weights and eat right. You can read all the studies and throw around all the terms and scour the internet in search of the magical natty secret. End of the day, hard work in the gym and a good diet will take you 100x farther. You can't outrun a bad diet, there's no "hack" that's better than consistent training.

@courtneyr By conditioning do you mean stuff like having a great work capacity from doing the prowler and sprints and low intensity aerobic work? Or do you mean relative strength to bodyweight?

Back