Weight lifting Q

sandragonz

Background: 26M, 5’9” / 158lb, started crossfit last May after a ~7y break from HS.

Doing my first open this year and having a blast. Nowhere near QF but really enjoying it. 23.1 (180) 23.2a (126) and 23.2b (185) for reference.

My cardio is okay but more running based than engine based; 5k is roughly 21-22min, but Cindy is only around 15-16, 23.a only 126. My strength is low, or at least much lower relatively. I want to get it high enough to consistently RX all workouts. Currently I can with most but some are just too heavy; mostly 70lb Dumbell workouts and anything involving heavy S2O. Or anything really heavy like DT (I did 135).

My lifts are (on a good day) back squat (315) clean+jerk (210) and press (135). Not sure anything else is up to date by last time I did others was front squat (255) deadlift (335) push press (155) and bench (185) but those might be a hair higher now.

My goal is to consistently RX workouts, and be at least in the 50th percentile while doing it, ideally around the 75th percentile eventually. I will never compete at a high level, but I like the feeling of not struggling to RX and doing relatively good at my box compared to the other guys - mostly masters athletes but QF and even games level.

Now to the point: I want to (or feel like I should, I’m open to alternative suggestion) do more strength work outside of class. I have a standard gym membership as well so can do mostly any movement. Any recommendations? It appears that deadlift, back squat, front squat, strict press, and push press seem to be the most recommended lifts. But I also see a lot of suggestions for cable type work and even isolated machine work (hammy curls, etc).

What are you thoughts? What lifting accessory work is most helpful? Would you be willing to give a ranking? Just curious what the community consensus is. Bonus for any links to practical programming guides!

@sandragonz This is a deep rabbit hole you're about to go down, and if you ask 100 trainers and athletes what you should be doing, you're likely to get 50-100 different answers. That said, if you want to get strong (and you definitely should want to get strong), following a program like Wendler's 5-3-1 or Westside Barbell's Conjugate Training will likely yield solid results if you put in the work with focus and intensity. No need to reinvent the wheel - these methods work, and until you've exhausted the benefits of one or both of them, there's little need to look elsewhere for strength programming. There are plenty of books and templates, including apps and websites, that will take your current numbers and create a decent enough program for you to follow. Good luck and happy lifting.