What’s a little trick that made a huge difference in your form?

@takkula Wait, push OUT the stomach muscles?? Not retract them inward? I haven't been punched in the stomach either, but I imagine my gut response would be to pull back and retract! (so that my spine would be hunched over and my stomach would be sucked in)

Thanks for your comment!

@carlamariecainoy Well I clarified a little bit more here. You do kind of pull your muscles in, but only after pushing everything out.

I thought the same as you when I first heard the cue! But it makes more sense filling your gut with air to protect everything.

Honestly it's probably better to look up a guide or YouTube video like this

@leslie88 See this is where the confusion comes from. It's not easy to explain in one sentence or cue. I should have specified more the "pushing out" is expanding everything in your stomach/rib cage (with a deep breath), then contracting your stomach muscles, but still trying to maintain the outward tension.

@takkula Are you supposed to shake when you’re really bracing your core? I have no history of sports or childhood playtime lol so I have nothing in terms of muscle, and I do feel my core bracing during every lift, and feel everything shaking in a good way

@srg I usually shake when I'm struggling to hold a plank. I think as you get stronger it will take longer for you to start shaking.

@takkula That's such an interesting point - not everyone interested in lifting has been in a stomach punching situation! I echo the others who are saying this really helps me understand.

@farmerdex And to build on that, I imagine I have to connect my tail bone with my navel with a string. Since I have a pelvic tilt this really helps to straighten the situation, together with bracing like there is no tomorrow.

@bkrolex Where I’m looking. It’s so easy to watch the bar, or the floor, or the plates on one end, and mess up everything as your body tries yo follow your eyes.

@bkrolex If the squat rack is facing (and near) the wall I look at the spot where the wall meets the floor. It helps me keep a nice neutral, relaxed but upright position.