What’s a little trick that made a huge difference in your form?

@bkrolex I record my lifts from time to time to see if my form is matching how I feel. Helped me sort out my deadlift and squat bc I can see exactly where I'm going wrong and at what point.

Also pointing my toes out in the squat so I don't lean forward has helped a ton

@bkrolex I’ve also found that bringing awareness to my feet and toes—making sure my whole foot is active and in contact with the floor—helps with stability, abduction, knee tracking, etc. During lockdown I was recovering from a knee injury and worked with a trainer at home over Zoom. I did most of my lifting barefoot, and I saw improvement really quickly. It makes sense… your feet are the means by which your body senses its contact with the ground. But with heavily padded shoes on all the time I’d sort of lost cognizance of what my feet were doing down there lol. Now I lift at the gym and wear Metcons or Drop Lifts, but my movements feel a lot more confident and fluid.

**edited for typos :)

@bkrolex The advice to push your butt as far back as you can when deadlifting. I was so focused on my knees, my gaze, keeping a straight back, my feet and and my hand placement, and couldn’t not feel it in my lower back.

Don’t get me wrong, m I still feel an intense leg day in my lower back a bit, it’s hard not too, but dead lifts don’t kill my back like they used to.

@bkrolex What has helped my squats is just opening up my legs more and pointing my feet out. For the longest time I always thought I needed to keep my legs closer and feet forward. Also foam rolling my calves prior to squatting, it helps with some of my ankle mobility/tightness

@pandaman Oh kettlebell handle is a great idea. I resorted to standing on the feet of the adjustable bench for my last squat day (small apartment gym and limited options/no plates) but I'll give this a try.

@goldladyslipper This is so true! I remember once a rather buff looking man came up to me during my squats at the gym and tried to tell me that I would have better form and be able to push more weight if I narrowed my stance and had my feet forward. I chuckled a little and then told him that women's bodies are quite different than a man's and he shouldn't go around giving unsolicited advice on something he isn't an expert on..

Back