What Apps do y’all use to track your meals/calories nowadays?

@ensea12 I use Lifesum for ease of use - in the free version, you put in age, weight and goal and it gives you an estimate of how many calories you need along with macros. You can't edit the macro split though.

What I like about it is that I can just scan the barcode of whatever I'm cooking or eating and it'll know the macros and calories right away. I can also add it to favourites after that - again for ease of use.

It'll also sync with at least Google Fit (don't have iPhone so can't illuminate that bit), adding to your needed calories for the day if you've burnt more than expected.

Lifesum paired with JeFit just works for my ADHD-brain that can't remember how many reps I've done or how many meals I've eaten.

Now at 33, but having worked out basically since I was 16, I've finally begun gaining weight consistently because I've started this sort of tracking. Up 7kgs since september; abt. 15½lbs 🙌.

@ensea12 Haha, trust me - I'm blown away myself and just waiting for it to stop 😂.
Full disclosure, I had a pretty bad period leading up to september that had me not eating more than like 13-1500 kcal a day which landed me at about 78kgs (I'm 190cm). So I also had a lot of potential gains 😅.

@floraspec I’m 195cm and have NEVER made it past 84kgs, regardless of how much my lifting pr’s improve; this years gonna be the year lmao. I’m determined to eat like a horse 😤

@ensea12 I'm at 86½ now, but I've also never seen my abs 😂.
I've just been consistent at around 500kcal surplus every day. But that means almost 4.000 kcal now. That's fucking difficult 😬.

@ensea12 MyFitnessPal, the barcode scanner isn't accurate at times but save your food once and it's done.

Also use Strong, pretty awesome, love that it tells you your last workout PRs too when you start the same workout.

@ensea12 I used to use Macrofactor, and thought it was great for a meal tracker. But I needed a meal planner and timer to hold me more accountable so now I use the RP diet app. I've seen great results while using it to bulk up, and now I'm using it for a cut. It's definitely a meal planner and not tracker first and foremost and can be very clunky and unforgiving to use. Having said that, if you need something to hold you accountable to eat a meal consistently and you meal prep all your meals for the week, the app is fantastic imo.

@ensea12 MFP/Chronometer are too bulky for me. I made an App called Lift Run Eat that lets me just track with widgets on my home screen. They are then part of a goal weekly matrix screen that's kind of a one look view at success for hitting you volume and nutrition goals, and any other custom goals you add. Next step is adding this matrix as a backlay to my performance charts over time, which is almost done.

@jerseysyin It's actually already on the play store. But I definitely need some good reviews and would be happy to add you to the tester list (currently I have no one so seriously would help). It is definitely a little buggy still so detailed feedback will be much appreciated.

Some other features include the fact you can add your own muscles-used ratios for the lifts on a super granular level, and set your goal volume per-muscle. It also has a full run tracker with 3D visualizations and a cool Open Street Maps trail data browser on the map. And wearOS support.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=op27no2.fitness.centurion2

@valula It doesn't have a backend, it's all local with roomDB.

Well, I'd love to bring it to iOS. Previously I'd dismissed the idea, but chatGPT is a game changer for me getting used to new platforms/languages.

For Android I want to add a full planning/programs for both running and lifting, maybe even for nutrition. Acute/chronic workload and volume graphs for running, user-defined parameters for those. I want to add route run/walk planning based on grade % and equivalent distance calculation as I look to tackle some ultramarathons.

I'm looking to add HIIT style UI options for the lifting blocks with timers/etc, and add those to an actual graphing for the history for lifting workouts, so it could show HR aligned with lifts or rounds/reps. I also thought recording max acceleration with wearOS would be cool to include peak power for each lift.

I want to let it pull from the Google Health Connect API to give options to port info from a smart scale, body comp, or other apps for those who like MFP/Chronometer.

So, there is a lot I want to accomplish. I don't have enough time, but ChatGPT is also making me freighteningly efficient and I need to get a handle on what I'm now capable of.

@paladin007 Well ok, so I can see where u want to go, seems really nice.

To the IOs thing i can only say that you could only use flutter or react native and even then you need a friend with macbook and a dev license or you pay 100$/year.

Id probably also add a backend for premium features (just dont be greedy and annoy users who are fine with the free version)

but yeah, I hope you have a great time while developing and continue to make a nice app

Back