What are some simple things you all do to improve your fitness?

@eyeq I bike everywhere I go because I don't own a car. I almost never bike for longer than 10 minutes at time, but I live in an area with a lot of hills and I've found my endurance has improved greatly.

@eyeq If my destination is under 30 mins walk, I just walk there. Helps me hit 10k each day in addition to gym time. I don’t do any abs or cardio so I tell myself this replaces both

@eyeq Drink lots of water!! Try to get to 3-4 litres. I tried to cut out most of unnecessary sugar and use small alternatives when available. Get at least 10k steps a day and stretch every day. If you're in a office try parking further away so you have to walk a bit.

@eyeq Eating enough! I finally used a macro calculator this year and it's ridiculous how much better my workouts are now I'm appropriately fueled.

@eyeq :)

In all seriousness, if you’re a runner:
- Joining r/running and learning / reading about the sport has kept me engaged and taught me A LOT
- Listening to or reading Born to Run also cemented my interest in the sport. I would only listen during runs, which encouraged me to keep running to get through the book
- Downloading Strava and getting a running watch also makes the experience more fun and allows you to track metrics, which imo will help you to see progress
- Staying consistent — easy one, but not every run or workout is make or break. I think that looking at fitness as a bigger picture helps you to take some pressure off and will keep you fitter overall.

@eyeq I don't have a car so I get a lot of walking in for just day to day life. I know this doesn't work for people who don't live in a big city with transport. My activity level is so much higher than my family that do drive simply from getting place to place.

@eyeq Being a little bit active everyday instead of being EXTREMELY active 3 days a week and a couch potato the rest.

I used to do a lift session followed by a cardio session 3 days a week at the gym and then do nothing at all the rest of the week, aside from the occasional weekend hike. I then spread out my cardio so I was in the gym less time each day, but doing 5 days a week (except in the warmer months when I do my cardio outside). Now, I also try to walk or do a light cycle on my "rest" days. It has worked. Just switching up like that has helped me sleep better and has brought down my resting heart rate. I also feel like my recovery is much better.

@eyeq
  • Dynamic stretching before workout and 30 min of static stretching after every workout. I have back issues and this keeps me from having flair ups that are so bad I can't stand or walk.
  • While I'm at work, I will perform 30 squats and push-ups. 10 in the morning, 10 during lunch, and 10 right before I leave. When I get home, I still do my usual PPL workout as well. I just find that doing daily squats and push-ups make me feel better and stronger throughout the day.

@eyeq Yes yes yes to strength training. It just makes a whole of difference. Especially switching to making that the priority vs just adding it to your rotation, if that makes sense. At least, for me it was a huge shift in my body overall.

After having two kiddos, the pregnancies created issues in my lower back. Second kiddo actually made my back go out while he was shifting in me, lol. So the recovery post pregnancy w/ regards to fitness had been two steps forward, one huge step back with recurring injury over and over.

Yoga, Pilates, strength training, & mobility training are GAME CHANGERS.
After 40, low to no alcohol on the reg. You just feel better overall.

Oh and lastly, love your self enough to extend the same compassion & patience you would show to your loved ones on yourself. Also big game changer.

Back