What are the best adjustable dumbbells for home use?

@eryma I have the iron masters as well. I think they are pricey for what they are, which in essence is some cast iron and a thread bar. But they feel solid. And they will out last me. I wouldn't be surprised if my kids were using them when I'm long gone. They feel as close to normal dumbbells that I honestly forgot the difference.

So really I'd say they were a top investment, which contradicts my original statement I suppose.

@steve2222222 I have the bowflex 1090s and while theyre good, they do have flaws. My biggest issue is because of the design they will ALWAYS be wide, so even when doing the minimal amount of weight possible, you cant keep you hands close to your body, which does negatively affect things like bicep curls.

The other issue is the knurling/handles. They just arent great. Made of plastic and arent comfortable and start to hurt. Not only that but only half of the handle has knurling and is like a rounded square, so it can be tough to get a good grip for movements where your wrist moves during it. Presses and pulls it's less of an issue and instead the flatness helps to stabilize them better.

The nice thing is they are CRAZY easy and fast to change weights with. Ive had mine for years and havent run into any issue of them weights not locking or anything. Just use them properly without letting them slam around or dropping them and theyll last a long time.

@mel101 Nuo Bells if you can’t wait for the Rep x Peppins. No awkward shape, super easy to adjust.

Nuos are maybe my best home gym purchase and I’m probably close to $10k deep at this point. Probably going to upgrade to the Rep x Peppins eventually though. They look amazing.

@mel101 Hi there! It's always great to integrate workouts into your home routine. For an adjustable dumbbell set that strikes a balance between value, durability, and adaptability, you might consider trying out the DMoose 90lb Adjustable Dumbbell Set. I've personally found it perfect for home use – the weights adjust seamlessly and they're pretty safe and stable in their design. The fact that they compactly replace multiple sets of dumbbells (saving precious space) is an added plus! Happy at-home workouts; may you achieve all your fitness goals! 💪😊

@mel101 I have the import powerblocks from amazon and they are fine. They have a cage which is a bit of a downside, and the progression is irregular going like 2.5, 2.5 and then 5. I have the magnetic platemates to cover it.

@mel101 My vote is for good old plate loaded handles with spring clips. You can go heavier than you'll ever need and it's way cheaper. Only downside is changing plates, but I can live with that considering the price of some of the other systems.

@jessephilz Right on - nice to see another budget caveperson on here. Our primitive dumbbell technology frees up more money to spend on the two most important food groups, rice and pizza. Good thinking on the quick release collars too.

@mel101 Bowflex are great. Mine have worked flawlessly for many years. Always right there and still look good. Few drops of oil in the mechanism is all it takes.

They are a little big - as in long. A petite person may find them a bit long. I’m 5 feet 8 inches and they could be a tad more compact. My friend’s power block is more compact but rusty after several years, so that’s a trade-off.

@mel101 What kind of workouts do you do, and how heavy is the most you'd want to load?

Some are faster to adjust, some are less stable if you shake them sideways, some are pricier, but knowing what you're looking to do with them would help answer this.

@mel101 I waffled for a while on what to buy and then just went with powerblocks and have really liked them. There’s some minor awkwardness issues with the frame and where the handle weight sits, but the trade offs are excellent.

If you go that route, know that a lot of people dislike the base grip and that you can select on option for knurling at no additional cost.

@mel101 I have Ativafit ones but my American ass needs to whip out my calculator every time because they’re in KG. Love them otherwise though and I’ve had them maybe 6 or 7 years now with no issues