What can I do when I’m young to keep healthy when I’m older?

I guess I don't know what everyone in this thread is expecting of 70+ year old people. Speaking very frankly: It feels like y'all have never talked to a person in their 70s, 80s, and 90s and actually asked them what it feels like to be in that body.

I'm not judging, but people are living longer and that means more opportunity to stay active.

Obviously I don't expect to be at the same fitness level at 70, but I hope to be walking every day, at the very least.

@ricardofarris Yeah wtf with OP's comment on a fitness sub. No one has to be more sedentary just by virtue of their age. Of course aging is inevitable but there is a lot we can do to stay healthy and mobile.

@ricardofarris 100%

Compare my 89yo grandmother to my SO's 80yo grandmother.

Mine has always been active, albeit knows her limits these days. REFUSES to use her stair lift; would rather crawl up the stairs on her hands and knees, walks to the shops, walks to see her friend, gardens (within the allowances of her knees!), and does most things for herself. She had a nasty accident to her leg a few years ago and rehabilitated herself and got back up on her feet. My Gramps (her husband) was active til the day he died at 93 of old age. They are both my inspiration to keep active.

My SO's has lived a life of luxury and money, and as a result has been lazy. She has a walker, relies on other people, refuses to even try and do a bit of walking around her complex. She sits day in day out in her flat. Honestly, it sounds like no life to live.

Obviously, circumstances are different for people, I get that, and some things are unavoidable for some people and in some cases at that age when you're down, you genuinely can't get back up again. But I find the stark contrast between the two people interesting; there is no excuse but laziness in my SO's grandmothers case.

@burialchoice Plus, I've noticed that being more active makes me more likely to just DO A LOT with my days. I'm more likely to do chores, play with my cat, do a workout, and do other little things during the day that are so hard for me if I'm sitting down most of the time. Getting up is always the hardest part for me, so avoiding sitting down when possible is key.

@burialchoice Stretch regularly, take days off when your body says so, (don't over do it like I did and now can't run a more and have a permanently swollen knee), be safe with form, if something hurts- rest it. It's a lot easier to gain weight than to lose it, keep that in the back of your mind.