What one thing would help me improve?

nogamenolife

I (40m) started resistance training about 12 months ago for the first time (the first three months with a PT), with the aim of improving my health and mobility as I entered mid-life, but also to put a little more muscle onto my naturally skinny frame.

A recent health check went very positively, so the good news is that I’m making progress on the first part of my goals.

The not so good news is that I haven’t gained as much muscle as I was expecting in that time. I’m seeing a little bit of definition but it’s very minimal. I’m thinking that something has to change in my routine. So what would help the most?

A) Lift more. I’m time poor, so I do 2-3 full-body workouts a week at home. Would fitting more into my schedule help?

B) Consume more calories. I tried upping my calories once before and discovered that a) it’s difficult without eating unhealthy food and b) I gained fat around my mid-section rather than muscle. But should I persevere?

C) Consume more protein. I have a couple of vegan shakes a day to supplement my usual diet, which I estimate brings me up to about 100g a day. Is that enough? (I weigh 68kg).

D) Chill. Growing muscle takes time especially as you get older.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

@nogamenolife It's really difficult to build muscle. You need A, B, and C. If your workout is an at home body weight thing, that ain't going to cut it. Lift hard, and the excess calories will be used to build muscle.

@nogamenolife The key to building muscle instead of fat is progressive overload and tracking your macros. Every workout, you should try to push yourself a little bit more. To start with it goes faster as you will have CNS adaptations and can increase 5% to 10% per week, just doing basic stuff, but you are probably already passed this point. Now, you'll have to develop actual muscle. 100g a day is probably enough for you to start, although I like more in general if you're pushing hard. I eat about 40g of protein every meal, plus a shake when i am building muscle, i weigh 176 lbs, or about 80kg. Hold yourself accountable for junk sets. If you can do the weight too easy, then increase it.

Also, don't push too hard and hurt yourself, there is a fine line between pushing hard and overexerting. 2 to 3 full body workouts a week is fine, as long as you're mixing it up, and doing compound movements and hitting each muscle group.

Make sure to give your body time to rebuild. Working out full body 4 times a week would be too much, you would need to have a split routine at that point.

Try to get at least 10 sets per week of each muscle group for efficient growth. Make sure to track your workout sets and your macros. Also check out Jeff Nippard, Athlean-x, and find a few others on youtube. They are omnivores, but they do have a very scientific mind and understand that vegans can build muscle also.

@acult Thanks so much for the useful response.

That fine line you’re talking about might be an area where I’m slipping up. At one point I became fixated on progressive overload to the extent that I was lifting too heavy and found my form slipping. So I took a step back. But maybe I’m now being too hesitant to push myself again.

@nogamenolife Well, if it were easy, everyone would be walking around with 6 packs, and squatting 6 plates :) Don't give up, keep at it, and keep trying to find that sweet spot of getting stronger.

@nogamenolife

1 Progressive overload. Full body workouts are maintenance fitness at best and therefore little help putting muscle on. When you lift heavier and heavier, your muscles repair stronger, as if they're preparing for the next session. If you're just doing the same old maintenance exercises over and over your muscles have no reason to grow.​

2 CREATINE​

3 Alcohol really does stunt gains so take a few weeks/months off​

@nogamenolife What program are you following? Does it have a scheme for progressive overload? That's the #1 thing I would focus on.

Also - have you been losing weight, maintaining your weight, or gaining weight?

@katie4469 I rarely weigh myself. To be honest we don’t even have scales in the house. I only know my weight because of a recent health check, and I weigh about 5kg (11lb) more than I did around ten years ago, the last time I remember being weighed. Could be I’ve been steadily putting that weight on year-on-year or I’ve gained most of that weight in the last 12 months.

Anyway, thank you for the reminder about progressive overload. I’ve probably not been focusing on that enough and I’ll start prioritising it.