Tips for working out first thing in the morning?

@kingshellie My advice is don't give up if it doesn't work the first week or two. I am a natural night owl, but I have trained myself to get up at 6 and go, and honestly the first 2 weeks I just turned off my alarm every time. But then I started naturally waking up properly before my alarm, and after that it's much easier. Every time I get out of my routine and have to get back in, the first few days I just turn off my alarm, and then I'm back into it

@kingshellie I wear my workout clothes to bed, or I keep them in bed with me so that they're warm when I wake up and I can get dressed under the covers. My workout clothes are wrinkly as hell, but it worked for me.

@kingshellie It sounds counterintuitive but when I did rowing and had to wake up for early workouts, waking up an hour before my workout really helped. I also can’t do a workout fasted so waking up extra early gave me time to eat, get my body woken up and drink some coffee and water before hitting it hard.

@kingshellie I hate mornings, but at one point in my life I could wake up go work out for an hour then feel ready for my day- no steroids, no coffee. It was amazing. The key for me was having the same routine every day. I could open my eyes and be like LETS GOOOO !! So it can happen

@kingshellie Routine and shorter workouts.

I found that when my life gets busy (work gets hectic or classes get more demanding during the semester) I reduce my workouts to 30 minutes every morning and go all out during those. It doesn't affect my fitness performance overall. I also end up doing some light stretches in the evenings as a break while studying.

I end up doing long sessions on the weekend. But sticking to mon-friday 6am-7am is gym time, including commute and shower. And on the weekend do the workout first thing in the morning too.

I also found a good set of at home, often zero equipment workouts that i can do that are killer and only take 30 minutes for when i don't want to commute to the gym (i follow Natacha Oceane but there are plenty of quality content on home workouts). That way my workout routine stays intact even if i feel too tired to go all the way to the gym.

@kingshellie You can also do 2 workouts in 1 day like legs and some upper body groups to make sure you don't skip muscle groups since you are not sure you will always get there. This way you would only have to sacrifice 1 day during the week and take your time in the weekends.

@kingshellie My best tip would be put your workout gear beside your bed so it’s the closest thing you can put on. Or sleep in it if you’re confident it will still smell fresh.

The first few days are hard. But planning ahead and getting ready the night before really does make life so much easier

@kingshellie When I'm not working I usually go to the gym when I get up. I get out of bed, weigh in, and down my pre-workout. By the time I am dressed and at the gym my pre-workout is just ramping up and I feel ready to work out. I occasionally get nauseous from not eating beforehand, but I can usually walk between sets to ease that. When it's really bad I have a small snack in my bag, usually a granola bar or hard boiled egg.

If you have trouble getting there do something you really enjoy first. I LOVE benching, just feels good. If I'm feeling unmotivated ill just bust out a set with just the bar even before warm-up. Motivates me but isn't enough work to upset my routine or hurt myself before the warmup. Sometimes if I want a challenge I'll do a quick barbell body row to start.

You'll find what works for you, but until then you just gotta drag yourself out of bed and make it happen.

I believe in you OP!

@kingshellie I workout at home. What I’ve done is stacked my workout habit with brushing my teeth. In order to brush my teeth, I must workout first. I’ve been able to keep up with this for over half a year now.

I don’t know what you can do to make the adjustments here but what I have found helpful has been this habit stacking approach.

@kingshellie I’ve been in a very similar boat the last few years! A couple tips from my own experience:

If you can, either bring all your stuff (including breakfast) with you and get ready at the gym, OR do workouts that you can do at home (running, yoga, bodyweight, HIIT, gym stuff if you have or can acquire some equipment). Alternate between the two from day to day so you’re only going to the gym 2-3 times a week—it’ll keep you from getting bored and worn out from the extra work of prepping and packing a whole days worth of clothes, food, toiletries, etc. You’ll be amazed at how much time this ultimately saves you by not having to travel back and forth between your house and the gym before going to campus.

My other big tip is to make a workout schedule for each week, not just what you plan to do but for how much time and what specific exercises. If you don’t already do this, it will also help you cut down on wasted time procrastinating or deciding what to do. I do this the night before each workout but you could also plan it out on the weekends. This may not be as applicable to you if you know you just want to run on a treadmill every day, for instance, but I like to do a bunch of different activities including strength training, which requires some advance planning.

@kingshellie Maybe you just need to be a little easier on yourself? A long day like that combined with so many workouts may just make you sick and exhausted. Try and space out your training to every second day, and accept that in this period, it may need to take second priority.

@kingshellie I feel that it's best to workout before shift for the mental clarity I gain v not doing it. When I show up to work (454am -- work is 45m away, I'm up at 230), I'm the only one in a good mood, the only one who's not sluggish throughout the day, and the only one who constantly gets great sleep despite a rotating shifts schedule. Good to simply keep the benefits in mind, whatever they may be for you. There's something satisfying about doing that which few do.

It still becomes a matter of discipline, though. Been doing the early mornings for just under 5 years, and it was just as hard this morning as it was the 1st 230am day. I just force myself to make my feet hit the floor, and I'll figure it out from there lol. Build a habit and keep it goin!