What should I wear to the gym as a overweight man 5’9 270

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC Shorts and a tshirt. Long socks if you want. You don’t really need a pair a gym shoes as long as they are clean. But if you can afford them I’d say buy some. The main thing is gyms want clean shoes. Everyone here and at that gym either was or still is ashamed of their body. You’re not alone so don’t get hung up on the small stuff. Make a plan and stick to it!

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC I'm a woman and I'll tell you, the gym is not a fashion show. Wear what you are comfortable with. Some days I wasted time matching my outfits, some days I didn't even change out of my PJs. (Past tense because I am 35 weeks pregnant right now and the gym is on hold.) As long as you're comfortable and it's not something that it going to restrict your movement, wear it.

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC Listen here bro, you wear whatever you feel comfortable or good in.

A big part of working out is feeling better about yourself, and that can start with a shirt you like that you can workout in. Or some sweat pants that look good to you.

When I started working out I was about 45 lbs overweight for my frame. I wore oversized wrestling tees and sweat pants.

Just feel comfortable.

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC I’m about the same size.
I wear an oversized t shirt and track pants.
I make sure I have a good pair of running and weightlifting shoes. Big guys like us need to change running shoes regularly to avoid back and knee pain. Trust me, I learned this the hard way. I change my running shoes after I’ve hit 600km.
A good pair of weight lifting shoes gives you strong support when lifting.
To avoid the stares and the embarrassment, I ALWAYS wear a cap. It helps to block my view from other. I also feel a little insulated from the crowd, so I feel less embarrassed. I also wear my noose cancelling earphones and listen to something funny on YouTube or a funny podcast. Helps to zone out.
Hope this helps. Wishing you all the best

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC Personally I workout at home, I use resistance bands and follow a couple who create excellent workout programs. They include low impact cardio workouts also!

However, as for the gym. I would hope that no one is going to judge you, the fact that you are even there shows that you are amazing! If the gym has a positive culture, they will be happy to see you and encourage you to keep coming

@thomas1985 It’s hard to tell about the culture I used to go to planet fitness because it was cheap and beginner friendly but the amount of highschool kids who went there would always stare at me and poke fun at me. And I’m not even like horribly big. So hopefully this new gym is better!

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC It makes me sad to hear that you're ashamed of how your body looks. I spent most of my life feeling that way, as well, and I still feel self-conscious at the gym a lot of the time and I'm a relatively fit woman now. I hope your new gym is far away from high schoolers and anyone who might be as immature.

You'll find that most people in the gym are not at all mean or rude to people who are just starting out on their fitness journey. I used to think people would look at me and get annoyed that my beginner ass was in their way, but everyone is just paying attention to themselves and if you're nice / smile at people, everyone is quite welcoming.

Wear a big shirt and some basketball shorts or loose joggers and, as long as they're breathable, you'll be totally fine. Converse is great, too. Enjoy some music in your headphones and have a great time :)

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC Loose shorts or pants and a sweat-wicking tee. Target has some good items for a more reasonable price, so you don’t have to spend a lot.

Not a man, but I know how it feels to feel uncomfortable to go to the gym in a larger body…not just the discomfort of the exercises, but the insecurity. But you’re doing something about it so I hope that makes you feel better.

Idk what you mean by “normal shoes” but I think athletic shoes with good support is a must, though. I think Saucony are great. But for a little styling, I suggest getting ankle socks and not pulling your socks high up to your calf. Personal preference…

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC whatever is comfy will do, ideal fabric is the kind that is designed for sweating. If you'll be doing cardio or treadmill, wear good shoes!

Also you might know this but also bring a towel just for working out.

Good luck OP! Proud of you making change for yourself!

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC Whatever is most comfortable for u to workout in. U need to be able to have a full range of motion too. A fabric that wicks away swear is also very nice.

Some people wear sweats to force themselves to sweat more, but if you’re not comfortable with that or not there yet a t-shirt & shorts is perfectly fine.

@e%CA%8Da%CA%80t%C9%A8%D5%BC Whatever makes you feel comfortable. Often people feel like they get looks... stares at the gym... but I will honeslty say the bulk of these are people sitting there staring off into space.. blankly staring in between reps. I give more credit to a bigger person at the gym, working hard, then any buff guy staring at his progress in the mirror. Go to the gym with pride my friend.

So, if you don't know how to use a machine... ask a regular... most of these people are very nice, and very willing to be helpful and show you how to use something