When I run on the treadmill I am dying after just half a mile. How can I make myself go longer?

@thisisme123 A 9 minute mile is hard if you haven’t ran it in several years!! It will take time to get there. I used to run at that pace and could do 3 miles without stopping. But that took me years to do! I can’t do it now, but I’m working on it. Slow and steady

@thisisme123 Use the bike the same way you do the tread—they compliment each other. Same rules apply that everyone else is saying: 80%+ in easy (conversational) effort, for time.

Unless you have health issue necessitating a recumbent bike, you’ll be better served by a spin bike or a road bike with a trainer if you’re working toward endurance. The positioning and movements are more similar to running, and that allows you to sprint easier.

@thisisme123 If you're going to do Hi Intensity, don't focus on distance. Do something like a 2-minute brisk walk. Sprint at a 12 or whatever you can handle without the risk of falling off for 30 seconds, walk for 30 seconds and repeat the whole thing like 5 to 7 times. Now you have a workout that will kick your ass and last 15 minutes or so with warmup and cooldown.

@thisisme123 No one here has said anything about having it between the ears so let me tell you some (not all) is a mental game. I can set the treadmill to like 5.5 and sometimes I feel like I'm going to die after half a mile. The thing that got me over that was knowing my heart rate actually wasn't as high as I thought, my legs are tired but not too tired to keep going, and saying hey you're fine keep going to the next 1/10th of a mile. Eventually after paving yourself you will get over a lot of hurdles (pun intended). Keep running it gets easier!

@cqmethodist Adding to the mental load—tread work is the worst, so boring lol. I thought id hate running in the cold, but layered up appropriately it’s just fine. At this point, I’d rather just run outside and use the tread for recovery runs where I can literally zone out and not worry about dying by flying off the tread.

@ali64 Sometimes I feel like I can run forever in the cold. It really sucks for the first few minutes, but it's really nice once you're all warmed up.

@annelie Hand warmers. Don’t know why it didn’t come naturally to me, but my first sub zero run I was dreading and my wife was all “go pick up some hand warmers.” I definitely married up.

@thisisme123 The Couch to 5K app is amazing. It got me in shape and I really love running with it. You start one minute on, walk 1.5 and alternate. Each week you increase. Before you know it, you’re running for longer. The apps are real encouraging too and track your progress. When I started I hadn’t run in years but it’s been really a blast.

@thisisme123 Adding to the chorus of run slower. If you’re trying to run for a long time, slower is better. It will feel PAINFULLY slow, but over time as your endurance build your easy pace will become faster, which also means the top of your range will become faster, too.

Check out r/running for a few days, or some of the runner-influencers (I like runtothefinish, running explained, running_fitness_dude, corcor_the_herbivore, and a bunch of others that show up on my feed). Consistently they talk about keeping the easy, easy, and the hard, hard, and spending about 80% of your time in easy—as in, so easy you can comfortably hold a conversation without being winded. To get there, you have to slow TF down. (Another metric is to maintain your HR in zone2, but that’s harder to measure accurately without a test in a lab or some high intensity—and longer than 0.5mi—running with HR data. The rule of thumb of 60-70% of 220 minus your age may understate your zone 2 range, but you really cant be too slow if you’re working toward endurance)

I’ve only been doing this for about a year. My “easy” pace a year ago was about 14:00 (4.2) and that had my HR averaging 163 and peaked at 175 for 30 minutes. I did a recovery run the other day, same time but about 13:30 (4.4), and my HR averaged 143 peaking at 150 (my zones are a little higher, but I have the data to back it up and it matches my conversational pace). I got there by slowing down and making sure either my HR was in the right range or I could hold a conversation. I have only hit 6.2 and higher when I’ve been doing speed work and then only for a short time (like 400 repeats or something, almost never more than a half mile at a time). And I know I’m not done improving—it just takes time and consistency. I went from barely being able to run more than a mile to regularly running 5+ miles (slowly 😂) to getting ready to train for my first half marathon in that time.

I also want to suggest that it will probably take a while to go far and fast. Start with a structured program and just keep showing up. The gains will come eventually. You’ve already taken the first step, just keep showing up.

Hey @thisisme123 another thought I had this morning is that tread runs are almost always slower/harder than outdoor runs. I had the observation and then, because Meta apparently has a chip in my brain, those run-fluencers started posting about how how there is research showing that indoor cardio comes in about 10BPM more than the equivalent outdoor exercise, which is usually enough to put you into the next HR zone. So if 9:40 is truly easy for you outdoors , it might be equivalent to 10:00 or 10:30 (6 or 5.7) inside. So don’t get discouraged if it’s different inside than outside.

@thisisme123 It sounds like you're trying to do too much at once. A few comments have advised to slow down and increase gradually, which is the best idea. If you've got some means of tracking your heart rate, do that too, I'd hazard a guess that you're pushing it too high for now. There is absolutely no shame in walking.
Maybe try jeffing - walk run walk run, and set yourself a time goal that increases gradually.

@thisisme123 That's great! You'll be surprised if you keep at it how quickly that distance will go up, and that time go down. I'm getting back into my training after an industry that took me out for two years, and I've had to do exactly the same thing.

Back