When I run on the treadmill I am dying after just half a mile. How can I make myself go longer?

@thisisme123 Hi, as some others have said. The way I did it in your shoes was run 30 seconds at 6 mph then walk 3.5 at 6 mph and I did this for 1.5 miles every time I ran. After a few weeks I was running 1.5 without stopping. I couldn’t even make it to .5 at first.

@thisisme123 For running, you can train for longer distances by modifying your pace (run slower).

That's basically how you can train for longer distances by finding a pace that is sustainable for your target distance.

e.g. of progression

Week 1

Sess 1: 15 minutes

Sess 2: 15 minutes

Week 2

Sess 1: 20 min

Sess 2: 20 min

Week 3

Sess 1: 25 min

Sess 2: 25 min

Week 4

Sess 2: 20 min

Sess 3: 15 min

Week 5

Sess 2: 25 min

Sess 3: 20 min

..... etc

By about 3 months you'll be at 150 minutes per week. These sessions could be running or other modalities.

@amn I have been cycling 5 miles on the recliner bike each of these sessions so I thought the lower intensity stuff would carry over into running

@thisisme123 It probably did carry-over some...

Is the 5 miles of recliner "hard enough" per the aforementioned talk test?

One way to know if it's hard enough: are you progressing on the bike? i.e. are you doing the 5 miles in less and less time? If not, then you may be getting a little complacent with your moderate-intensity conditioning.

If you pick a mileage target, and use the same speed and tension, you will keep getting better for a little while, assuming it was somewhat outside your current level of fitness. But at some point, you will just be maintaining your new level of fitness, because you're not providing enough stress to cause additional fitness adaptations.

Imagine it's Day 0 of your training, and you can do 10 push-ups, but the last rep is a real grinder. And every day from that point on you just 10 push-ups. At some point 10 pushups won't feel that hard, and maybe you could squeeze out 12 or 13, but you keep doing 10 anyway. At some point,1 set of 10 will no longer produce any strength gains. You would have to add another set of 10, or take that 1 set to 11 reps or more. It works the same with conditioning.

When people go from sedentary to active, even a brisk walk can be very challenging, and if it is, they will reap substantial health and fitness gains from a 20 minute brisk walk. In an absolute sense, they may get much more benefits, than folks who graduate from brisk walking to steady state cycling, running, etc. It's about challenging yourself with an appropriate amount and relative intensity of exercise.

@amn Yeah I have gone from doing 2 miles on the bike to doing 5 miles and it has gotten easier and easier, I don’t know why it doesn’t apply to the treadmill

@thisisme123 Lookup couch 2 5k program or r/c25k.
I have been in similar situation. Sticking to this prog which is 8 weeks has been helping me a lot. Now I am at week 4
Especially if you used to run earlier, it is easy to over exert and feel disappointed. You have to start small and work your way
Also do plenty of stretching before and after

Back