Which documentaries or videos helped motivate you greatly in taking health/fitness seriously?

@savedsue For me this wouldn't be a good long term plan/motivation is fleeting and isn't what will keep you going long term.

I find it helps me stay on track to have a reason to make better choices -- I'm currently trying to maintain my weight so I'm not too heavy for my lighter partner to belay me while climbing, I want to have a strong body for my hobbies etc.

I often look at old people around me on good health and use that as discipline as they generally have remained active.

@goatfish I have tachycardia and some episodes can be pretty scary. The scariest one I had after half a bottle of wine, I almost fainted. I’m three months sober now and not looking back. Alcohol is really fucking bad for you.

@goatfish I'm currently thinking about quitting (or at least drastically reducing my consumption).

I had a fun weekend, with two evenings drinking at a bar with friends but I already felt shitty while drunk. And felt even worse going back to the gym on Monday morning, I performed really bad.

That motivated me to take better care and maybe actually quit it completely.

@uk1872 I don’t regret it. It absolutely changed my life for the better. I was creating a lot of problems in my life and they all disappeared but it allowed me to fully live my life and to save money too. Also I don’t waste any of the weekend on hangovers 😆.

@goatfish thats a good motivator actually, I usually "lose" my Sundays to being hungover. I don't get anything done and feel like crap. Even on Monday, it lingers...

@savedsue I’d watch the docs and shows, but nothing did anything except getting really, really sick and being terrified it was going to be chronic. Luckily I got a diagnosis and it was treatable, but it took 6 months to dig out. It was a reality check. If it’s like that at 37, what will it be like at 47, 57, etc? I want to be as active and healthy as I can be until the day I keel over.

@prettypinkzz Me tooooooooo! Still regaining strength after my illness but fucking hell, I refuse to be bedridden again. The tricky bit for me is finding the balance between adventure and rest, else I risk triggering the illness again :(

@autumnfan I actually am not a fan of What The Health. Even as someone who is plant based myself.

A lot of that documentary is wildly misleading.
My favourite bit of misinfo in it is " Red meat is as bad for cancer as smoking because it's a class 1 carcinogen" ( that's not how carcinogens work).

They also quote a lot of studies that are one offs or that they misinterpreted. For example, they say that eating red meat once a day increases your risk of getting diabetes by 51%. It's actually much closer to 7%.

Pretty much every " fact" in that movie needs a foot note explaining how what they say is partially true but being presented in a misleading way.

@wpjo That's very interesting! Appreciate your feedback! Shouldn't be twisting the truth. There is enough proof of the dangers of red meat, processed meats, etc that they should not be exaggerating or putting out this misinformation! :(

@autumnfan be careful though, movies/series like that can trigger orthorexia which is still an eating disorder, even if "being super obsessed about health and fitness" doesn't sound as bad, it is a special type of hell...

but if you have no problem about obsessive tendencies or being easily manipulated its probably fine to watch