Which pathway is better: Weighted pull-ups or explosive pull-ups?

johnnyboy1998

To preface this off, I want to say that my priority is not to get jacked. In fact, I’d like a lean more athletic physique(Like David Goggins’).

However, my main priority is athleticism and explosiveness.

That being said, which progression best suits my goals?

Should I do weighted pull-ups and do progressive overload by upping the weight?

Or should I do explosive pull-ups and progressively overload and going higher and higher?

(E.g. regular pull-ups to chest-to-bar pull-ups and eventually to waist pull-ups)

@johnnyboy1998 Had to google that Goggins bloke. Looks pretty jacked to me. Sort of crazy that he’d be considered anything other than that.

Maybe I’m just old and haven’t kept up with body standards/expectations

@karendel You're definitely right. He's jacked, but because he's an ultra endurance athlete he's lean as they come. I think social media has muddied the water somewhat on body standards

@audiotech They each have carry over to the other but the principle of specificity controls.

OP does not want to get jacked. His main priority is explosiveness and athleticism.

If the above is true, he should do the opposite of what you recommend.

He should train for explosiveness and not strength.

@sw1shf1sh Maximal strength helps for explosiveness because it decrease the percieved effort. That's the principles of the bulgarian method to gain explosiveness.

@sw1shf1sh He won’t get “jacked” with weighted pull ups. If he’s aiming for a David Goggins physique weighted pull ups are the way to go. He definitely won’t get it with simple body weight pull ups, they only get you so far

@audiotech @johnnyboy1998, you are not going to get a David goggins physique without focusing on hypertrophy at times. It's insane that ppl think his body is achieved without aiming for muscle growth. I think steroid usage and bodybuilders have significantly altered what people think is a lean physique.

@jamesup7777 Also worth noting he’s worked out at an advanced level for 2 decades, including power lifting. His physique is the product of a sh$tload of every kind of upper body exercise, both iron and bodyweight.

@jamesup7777 This is not exactly true.... it depends on your body, some people gain fat easily, some can't gain weight at all, some in the middle.... if you have 5-8% body fat naturally (like me, without even working out or dieting), you get a good muscle growth from just simple exercises like pull ups, push ups (of course different variations), squats.... you don't need a super human program! I literally get wide shoulders from simple push ups, of course I do a lot of them (10+ sets per workout with different variations and 15+ reps each) and of course where I was raised (Russia) we did push ups, pull ups, sprints in gym classes before playing football like weekly, (unlike in USA where sport discipline in school is absent...) , but you don't need anything superhuman or even gym to get that type of body.... I eat anything as well, it just my body never gains exceess fat and everything goes to muscles, it all depends on your body and genes! I don't know if David goggins does dieting or anything insane while working out, but he seems to have that type of body that easily builds muscles while staying lean!

Some people gain muscles fast, some slower.... some have better chest muscle gains and shape, some biceps.... my friend literally does 5x more shoulder exercises than me and he can't come even close to wideness of my shoulders.... for me it's opposite for biceps, he has more round biceps than me.... also my chest also is not that puffy because of low body fat.... it all depends on your body and genetics! But you don't need anything special to get an athletic body build.... as I said I can easily sustain my muscles by working out at intermediate to advance level.... and 3-4 times a week

@dawn16 Force/strength refers to the ability to overcome resistance, while power/explosiveness refers to the ability to overcome resistance quickly/in the shortest period of time.

Power {(Force × Distance) ÷ Time} represents the product of strength and speed of movement expressed in Watts, where Force is measured in Newtons (1kg=10N), the Distance in metres and Time in seconds.

@sw1shf1sh I'm not arguing, I think we're on similar pages here. I specifically train for strength. My mentality is force times explosive speed to get strength. I also am 173lbs and can pull 3 plates. My genetics are actin 3 West African fast twitch fiber based so I use my genetics to generate quick force since I'm not super heavy.