Why don't men hire health coaches as much as women?

gm0nkx

This is a generalization but I have data to back it up for my world. I run an online fitness and nutrition coaching business and we are about 80% women. I am a Dad and constantly talk about my own health so I figured I'd be attracting other Men/Dads but I am not.

We have women sign up who are complete strangers and who are already in pretty good shape but want to be their best.

And then on the other hand I have close friends (guys/dads) who are in horrific health - gout, high cholesterol, obese, etc. and can't be bothered.

Why do you think that is? Pride? Societal pressure? I find it so interesting.

P.S. I realize I am talking specifically about genders assigned at birth but I am not trying to overcomplicate the topic. Just wondering.

Edit: To be clear I’m interested in this trend of men not hiring nutrition or fitness coaches at large. I’m not wondering why YOU specifically don’t need a coach. Although I do find it funny how many of you say you’d never need a coach and you don’t even know who i am or what I offer haha. I could be Arnold or Layne Norton. Yet you’re so sure you have nothing else to learn or gain. Hm 🤔

But some really good responses. Who knew this was such a hot topic. Wow!

@gm0nkx I mean, tbh, as a middle aged guy who learned to lift off T-Nation back when, my general impression is that most health and fitness coaches are crap.

So sure, "I know what I'm doing!"

But also, "They got no idea what they're doing..."

My 2 cents

@freethinker711 as someone who charges a lot of my services i will admit there isn't anything I "know" that isn't already out there. people pay for organization not information. there are 1,000 examples of this, from college to coaching. but yeah most people COULD do it alone but they dont, and then refuse to hire help. I think it is that women are more likely to admit they just can't do it alone, at least for this topic

@gm0nkx Honestly I think if you marketed for this specifically, it might increase business. Something like "you may know what you need to do, but are you doing it? Let me help". A lot of people would feel like they're going into it with an upper hand instead of starting from the bottom.

@gm0nkx You basically juat answered ur own question… like a snake oil salesman “as someone who charges a lot for my services “ see that right there is ur pride and ego workin overtime… but u just answered it for all us men who wont hire u… women at a certain point care more… where us men usually get comfortable… and dont like the snake oil shit

@freethinker711 I'm not him, but:

The information you need to do just about anything, is online, and findable. Full repair of a car, DIY of anything in your house, health research, advanced meta studies, etc.

But, it takes hours to read through and understand it all. I like researching through the NIH databases for "fun" when I have a question on healthcare. Most people don't.

The same goes for home maintenance. All the answers are online for whatever project you might need. Youtube videos, Union training videos & pdfs, etc. But does it apply exactly to your project? Maybe, maybe not, but the pieces and info are all there if you know how to find, pull, and assemble it into a meaningful picture for your use case.

Which is hard. In this guy's case, I think what he's saying is he has all that info you might need for a health project, but organized in an easily digestible, useable, and practical way for the average person.

@rbr He wrote, "people pay for organization, not information." You're arguing that people pay for "organized information."

If that's what he meant, that makes sense. Average Joe absolutely is paying for information, IMO.

@freethinker711 I paid attention to my biology classes, took weighting 1, 2, 3, and Olympic lifting in high school, did CrossFit, went in pre-med classes, and got a personal trainer certification.

@gm0nkx I started with a personal trainer, and after a year, I went on my way as I felt like the value wasn't there anymore. I'm considering a powerlifting coach now, though.

@deee If you want to compete, a coach is worth every penny. Especially through competition peak. .

If you just want to get strong, follow any sense popular program out there.

@illumine It should be noted that coach and trainer are not synonymous here. If you hire a coach you are already training for a particular purpose likely competing and acknowledging that you do not know everything.

I think guys dont hire trainers for the same reasons they dont hire landscapers, plumbers, or any other job that they “can” do themselves. Even if they cant do the job themselves atleast they dont have to swallow their pride and accept that they dont have the answers.

And by they, I mean me as well.

Back