Why don't men hire health coaches as much as women?

@gm0nkx To expensive, people just get lifting friends and let them teach them for free.

Also it's a bit if an ego thing I assume, would seem to be an embarrassment to oneself possibly.

Also being told what to do by somebody else that doesn't know them very well so people don't like to listenvto instructions very well.

The only time I really see it happen is if it's a pro bodybuilder and they have a bunch of people that train them one way or another, be it body, diet, lifting, coaching, etc...

It would be entirely different if it's a person who wants to learn boxing and has a trainer that way, and I am NOT talking about boxing classes...But a real boxing gym.

My 2 cents atleast.

@gm0nkx I'll also add I have a slightly different case. Family full of bodybuilders and all have expert levels of knowledge for fitness and nutrition along with other things but I can't get any of them to teach me despite asking them for years.

Hell one of my family member literally was employed as a fitness trainer at a gym and certified but he wouldn't even help, he eventually quit doing that and works in a factory but he himself gets trained by another now which is weird to me...

The only one has said a few times to go to the gym with him but we have conflicting schedules and I can't currently afford a gym membership or find the time due to other things. Prime example that family member went back to trucking so his schedule is way different to work around his long hours lol but I also know it possibly would not last simply because of I know how he is but who knows I could be wrong lol.... Also I think it would be too tempting to hip on the juice at some point since he himself is not natty anymore for a few years now.

So that's why I'll just do everything myself when I am ready to go to the gym again and get back into shape cause I'm tired of asking for help over the years.

@gm0nkx I know I could use a coach but im getting decent results and I just can't be bothered. I dont like people. I don't like spending money on things I don't feel are necessary unless it's fun. So the idea is just kinda off putting.

@gm0nkx I've barely ever heard of a health or fitness coach for men or women. And I'm not sure I know what one does.

But I'd to pay someone to come to my house every morning and scream at my until I exercise and eat better.

@gm0nkx I’m not a coach, but I have worked with sports-specific strength/conditioning and skills coaches, and from what I’ve seen, most of their clients are men.

I think there are many male athletes who are more than willing to pay for professional help if they have performance goals that require specialized knowledge/experiences. And to these athletes, coaches who work toward general fitness goals just aren’t what they are looking for.

@gm0nkx Society teaches men that they MUST be able to do things by themselves, they can't ask for help, and if they do, they are weak. Asking for help is weakness, so it's better to just lie to yourself and say that you are ok in being fat, or that it is impossible for you because of reason A, B or C.

Make them realize that asking for help is not weakness, but takes strength. And taking responsibility of your own health is way manlier. And make them realize the example they are making for their kids. Do they want their kids to be the same as they are when they get older?

@gm0nkx Men don't want to appear weak in front of other men.

They also are less willing to follow instructions.

"It's my life"

"I did it my way"

So many messages in the popular media have engrained this line of thinking into the male minds.

If you switch it up and frame it as intermediate level, or frame your sessions in a more supportive role, you might get more takers?

Health coaching also seems 'easier' to understand on paper. Just stop eating fast food and do regular exercise.

But to become honest and vulerable in front of another person and be wiling to acknowledge and change one's ways is so tough, because if often evovlved that way to compensate / serve some other needs in their life.

@gm0nkx I think most men have a weird ego thing around the gym, especially men born before 2000. It's like there is this assumption that lifting weights is something men are just born knowing how to do properly, and any implication otherwise calls into question ones precious masculinity .....

That being said, I would say around 99% of fitness coaching is a total scam, and neither women nor men should be signing up. I obviously know nothing about you and am not accusing you of offering shit services, but keep in mind that when you sell yourself, you are likely selling to people that have been around this merry go round at least once, or are familiar with the ride, and are highly skeptical. Maybe men are a little more familiar with this reality since they tend to have spent more time in gyms than women on average. I go to a commercial gym and we have had probably around 50 different PTs come through in the decade or so I've been there, and I can count on a single hand how many were even remotely qualified to do anything beyond just offering emotional support during a workout.

@gm0nkx From my perspective I know what to do. But I've had coaches two times in my life. Both times I paid for accountability. They kept me going for my goals. And I'm too cheap to skip a workout if I paid for it.

@gm0nkx Men tend to be self starters and explorers more so than women. Why should they want or need a coach? ....especially in these days of electronic info at our fingertips, and the fact that most men are grounded in sports and fitness from their school ages.

It's not rocket science. You've simply formed a business that appeals mostly to women. Now, you can do one of two things. Cater even more strongly to your main base(women), and more women will be drawn to your business. Market and cater more to men, but at the risk of pushing out the women.

@afraidoftheend “In the days of electronic information at our fingertips”

This applies to every service business on the planet.

Your personal opinion is that sports and fitness is easier than, say, learning how to replace a transmission

But I don’t see it that way. I see many obese men (or have digestive health etc etc) who just refuse to ask for help

@gm0nkx True there are many men who refuse to ask for help, but often they don't think they need any help, or even if they do, they don't like being told what to do. The other thing is that everyone has some exercise experience especially in youth, whereas few are exposed to auto transmission replacement ever.

@gm0nkx I hired one specifically for Olympic lifting when was younger. Am considering it again for a refresher.

I also hired one that had certifications for post injury rehab following PT. (Can’t remember the cert title)

I have hired nutritionists on two occasions. One didn’t work well and the other one kept trying to sell me his workout plans, but gave good advice regarding the nutrition.

I know when to admit I am out of my league in knowledge. Whereas others may be less inclined to say so. Be it because of pride, motivation, whatever.

@gm0nkx Because more men than women are willing to try and learn how to lift empirically + most men can get 80% of the way by themselves if they have enough interest.

That extra 20% is very important, but not indispensable to enjoy your time at the gym and build a great body

@gm0nkx Because most men that take on the title of “Fitness Coach” are just Patrick Bateman types who make way less money. I say that only half jokingly. Some Men who take on these roles say the dumbest shit possible and get people injured. Or you get a real champ and he has every reason to charge an arm and a leg, price aside, those are the real dudes out to coach.

@gm0nkx Because most health coaches really aren't that useful Orr know their stuff. Just start learning and do it yourself?

On a side note I do have a weightlifting coach but she really knows her stuff to a different level.

@gm0nkx For me personally I really struggle to see what value they're going to provide. I say this as someone that has hired online trainers on two different occasions. The thrust of what they told me to do was "Do more" but they would insist on really weird or really specific exercise variations without any explanation or justification for why. Why am I doing staggered stance DB rows super set with alternating one arm arnold press? Why am I not just doing some chest supported rows and some overhead pressing? Because don't ask questions that's why. How is this diet plan any better than what I get from MacroFactor? It just is. That sort of thing.

If I can get 85% the same results just running 531 BBB for a couple of cycles, it doesn't make sense from a value proposition to spend hundreds of dollars to get that extra 15%. ESPECIALLY when I can get that extra 15% by doing what I already do but being a little more patient.