Why don't men hire health coaches as much as women?

@gm0nkx To quote Ron Swanson "I know more than you"

I probably don't but I grew up reading elitefts articles and stuff by Louie and Dave Tate so I know enough to not have to pay someone else.

And to be frank I've been less than impressed by 90% of the trainers I've seen.

@gm0nkx I’m sure it’s a few factors, but speaking for myself, I’ve put a lot of hours into research and feel confident with where I’m at and where I’m going. A coach id seek out for some very specific goals at this point in my life. But overall, I consider myself well above average with nutrition and routine IQ.

@gm0nkx I hired a health coach/nutritionist a few years ago. The problem was from ages 15-32 I was heavily involved in endurance sports and had an insane metabolism. Once I stopped training for long distance triathlons due to family and work etc, I just had this totally unrealistic relationship with food.

I hired a coach who taught me about counting calories, I started strength training etc. All the info is out there, its not like calorie deficits and progressive overload are big secrets, but I didn't have the time/energy to figure it all out on my own and I liked the built in accountability of checking in with a coach once a week. They also helped me stay the course when I'd stall out for a few weeks or plateau.

Since then I've really seen the benefit of hiring a professional to help guide you through difficult areas of life. Having a business coach, or fitness coach etc can just really help you save time and energy, but you have to be at a place mentally where you are ready to accept help. That's not easy for a lot of guys to do. We are always taught to just figure shit out for ourselves.

@mvelis15 So this is my story exactly.

I think my question is why don’t most men do this?

My business is just fine I am certain we provide value, i know the education and accountability combined are worth it for almost anyone who has more money than they do time… I just don’t know why almost no men see this value but so many women do

@gm0nkx I think a lot of men do, maybe your marketing is off a bit if it's not attracting the right kinds of clients?

As I said, most men are taught to figure stuff out on their own. That's a really hard habit to break. Also a lot of men see seeking help as a weakness.

Then again there are millions of young men signing up for stuff like Andrew Tate's stupid university thing, so I think there's definitely men out there looking for guidance on how to achieve their goals.

@gm0nkx A lot of people waste money on health coaches. Most coaches seem to be preoccupied with the sales aspect of it. They give very basic or incorrect advice and they don't seem to know or care that that's what they are doing. They are just confident and outgoing and they are making money. Ethically questionable, but that's the world we live in.

This is a personal anecdote and a stereotypical generalization about men and women, so take it how you please, but I've been a regular at many gyms over the last 20 years and was a competitive weight lifter with a world class coach for a period of time. Women just seem to not be as personally invested in real health and wellness as the men who are also pursuing the same goal.

Most of the women I know generally seem to be satisfied enough with the idea that they are doing it...rather than truly care about the underlying reasons why, and are generally happy to just do whatever it is someone else who looks like an expert is telling them to do. "Coaches" know this and seek them out. Most of the men I know, by contrast, are interested in being an expert. They will talk to each other and discuss the proper way to do things, talk about their diets with each other, talk each other out of spending money on things that don't work, critique each other's methods, compare programs they are on, etc. It just looks less like going through the motions. These men would never ask for help from a coach unless it was something specific from a specific coach that they seek out. Like a special diet or specific goal oriented routine. Something more scientific than they want to work out on their own. Women tend to be excited and supportive about what their friends are doing, rather than feeling compelled to critique from the standpoint of improvement. Men love telling each other what they are doing wrong lol.

The people buying beach body products and working out with a trainer watching them do random exercises with no regard for form and function are always women in my experience. And I think it's because they generally just aren't as into the lifestyle. Maybe it's just the community I've been around, but that has been my observation at least in the fitness community.

If we are talking about people with no prior interest, just getting into it, it's the same thing. Men ask their friends what to do, because they have guy friends who are into health and wellness and trying to be experts at it, like I said. Women who are trying to get into health and wellness have female friends who recommend their coach or program they bought to them lol.

@gm0nkx I hired a few coaches and they helped me a lot. I’ve been lifting forever and I was really nervous to give up control of my program but I’m glad I did.

But to answer your question, we’re just not as likely to ask for help in general. We don’t see the doctor, ask for directions, get therapy, etc.

@gm0nkx Because I know everything about working out (sarcasm, obviously).

From personal experience, most guys I know feel that they know enough to get by. We dudes use a lot of bro science and tips from our friends.

Back