Why is it so hard to just start?!

reformedguy

I am 31F, 190lbs / 5'2 and 8 months postpartum after a second, unplanned c-section. I've told close family and friends what I weigh and their response is "no way! You don't look 190lbs" which is great, but I do feel like I need to lose weight.

I've been trying to get started for the past 2 months but just keep pushing it off. Why?! I don't understand why it's so hard for me to just do it?? I will say time is not on my side, so I do need to utilize my lunch breaks while I go into the office (M, W, F) and I can utilize anytime of day T, Th as I'm remote those days. Weekends are tough unless we get both boys down for a nap at the same time.

But again, as I write this, I know I should just go put some workout clothes and get it done but I don't even know what to do or where to start. I have free weights at home (3-20 lbs) but like what do I do? Is there a free video out there I can watch? How long should I work out for to start seeing benefits?

My goal is to lose 40-50 lbs and get toned by December 2024, so plenty of time to give myself to do it.

@reformedguy It's hard to start because you think it's going to suck, and some days it does suck, but once you form a habit of exercising regularly, then it feels worse missing a day than when you're out there sweating your ass off.

They say it takes at least 2 weeks to establish any habit, so I'd say to get started you have to set out a block of time that you can hit at least 5 days a week for 2 weeks. It could just be walking for half an hour, or doing 3 reps of lifts, but do something. Then, once you have the habit of spending the time working out, you can refine your workout routine to be more tailored to what you want. Lifting, walking, running, whatever.

@buglet agreed. this helped me. I follow a woman from Australia on you tube for her stretch and then inside walking with weights .. she’s super chill but I sweat everyday.. I just started after gaining almost 40 lbs and I try to eat Whole Foods ( Mediterranean).. I feel better but losing is slow moe.. I like your goal date☺️I wish you health and may we both get healthy by then.. much light and congrats on your babe! 🧘🏽🤍🐑

@reformedguy Here's my copypasta on habit building. Imo it's the most important part of making a lasting change and I rarely hear it talked about.
The most important thing is consistency and getting "addicted" to the consistency and how rewarded it makes you feel to do something positive for yourself. Set aside time every other day for "active periods" don't worry about the workout or progress. Set your timer for a period that isn't daunting like 15-30mins and don't let yourself stop until time is up. The active period could be household chores without looking at your phone or sitting down, yardwork, walking your dog or just walking yourself. Do this routine until you feel anxious about missing an active period, maybe a month, maybe more. If your schedule forces you to miss an active period just make it up the next day, no stress. When it's a habit and you no longer struggle to complete active periods you can look into actual workouts. Do the same thing with your workouts though.

I've trained at martial arts and boxing gyms most of my adult life and seen a lot of people new to fitness take fitness classes at these places. Most of these classes go too hard too soon and people never seem to last. It's a double edged sword for these types of classes because people want to feel like they're getting a good workout but what they need is to slowly add intensity and back off when it gets to be too much.

Start with a 1-3 months of active period habit building. Remember you're in this for the long haul. You don't want to start off and quit. Build the habit first and slowly add on intensity over time. Your have your whole life to exercise and ultimately you need exercise and physical activity just about every day.

The secret no one in the fitness community tells you is that anyone who is fit and has sustained it for a long time has successfully incorporated a regular habit of physical activity into their lifestyle. Make prioritizing fitness a habit and it can serve you the rest of your life.

@reformedguy The hardest part is taking that 1st step. Next is staying consistent. Make a schedule for some "me" time, and don't let yourself skip.

Your goal is to lose x cal by x date. Calories in < calories out + some cardio. It doesn't have to be a lot or extremely strenuous. As long as you're moving, you're burning calories. Hard cardio just means you can burn calories faster, so you can either burn more calories in the same time, or the same calories in a shorter time. A deadline of December 2024 gives you plenty of time to take it slowly.

I try to find something for my brain to do while I cardio. If it weren't for audiobooks, I'd probably never get on the treadmill. Now, I can't wait to get on so I can continue the story.

You want to tone up. That's so easy to do. Anything that provides resistance against a muscle contraction is a workout. Bonus, building a little muscle can help you lose weight faster and keep it off. If your muscles feel tired at the end, or sore the next day, whatever you're doing is working. You're not bodybuilding, so you don't need to worry about optimal weight, reps, and sets. You can just feel it.

Compound movements that hinge more than one joint at a time (squats, lunges, etc) will give you more bang for your buck over something that isolates a single muscle like bicep curls.

You can target a specific area to build muscle, but not to burn fat. Your body takes it from wherever it can do so most efficiently. Just move your body and it will do the rest. Later, if you want to get more into bodybuilding, things will have to be done a little differently and more focused. Just losing weight and toning up isn't rocket surgery. Don't overthink it.

@reformedguy Can you start doing 30 minute walks at lunch every workday? That would be a great start.

Try to add in 20-30 minute strength training 3x per week also once the walking is a habit.

Focus on your diet and if you follow these three things you should achieve your goals by December 2024.

Note that for weight loss diet will be the most important piece of the puzzle.

@reformedguy Why is it difficult to start? . . .
Because your friends don’t think you need to and you don’t have time.
1. Start doing it because you want to and not because your friends are being nice…
2. Start with writing down your current activities that you do each hour of the day for a week and then find time to start…
3. Start with as little as 30 minutes a week…that’s all it takes to get started walking, going up and down the stairs, skip rope, anything that gets your heart rate up.

Start it because you deserve to feel good and you will.

@reformedguy I was in a similar position - unplanned c-section, 8 or 9 months postpartum where I was pretty much sedentary the whole time. The best thing I did was find a good trainer. I did two sessions a week and the built-in accountability helped me make fitness part of my regular routine again. If you find a good trainer, the progression will feel gradual and he/she will design a program to fit your goals.

@reformedguy If you are 5'2 and 190, you should probably focus more on the food aspect of it.

The odds of injuring your back or knees is much greater. For context I was 5'9 and 230 and I got runners knee from running 150 feet. I also had 24/7 back pain.

When I got down to 208 I put on a 25 pound backpack at rei and got a bulging disc for several months.

I'm about 198 now and had to wear a 25 pound backpack at work for several hours and had back pain for a couple of days but it went away.

Bottom line: start light and focus on the food first.

@reformedguy 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps of 3-5 exercises, 3-5 days per week. Start with three. Set a time and specific days. Write down the sets, reps and exercises you're going to do and the days and times you plan to do them. When the time comes (alarm?) remember why you want to do it and focus only on thoughts about the result you're working toward. Build from there and tweak as necessary but don't quit.

@reformedguy Start with daily stretches. I like beginner stretch videos on youyibe. Take a 30 - 60 minute walk at least 5 days a week. Look up some dumbell exercises on instagram.

Start counting calories and eating nutrient dense foods so you can feel full longer on low calories. I like to eat giant salads or a whole head of cauliflower.