Wide & Flat Feet Shoes Recs? Nanos?

coolbair

Getting back into shape again and my beloved NB Minimus are no longer suitable.

Need a new shoe for my Wide (EE) and Flat Feet. I'm very partial to low drop minimalist which I've found to be more "stable" in feel for me.

I'm not a high mileage runner (

@coolbair Love my OG Nano 2s. Reviews on the Reebok website suggest the new version have longevity issues.

I also have x1 and x2’s and the toe box is indeed more narrow. Still enough room for my wide-ish foot.

@mili The nano 2 and 6's were great to me.

with regard to the x1 and x2, did you feel any difference between the ~4mm vs ~7mm drop? The more I read, it's not the drop but the new foam construction that feels less "grounded" than the Nano 2s

@coolbair The 7mm drop is noticeable but not overly so. I like it for a slight lifter feel. I find them to be plenty firm and stable. Tbh, I’ve never been a barefoot/minimalist fan… tried em but not my jam. Overall, it’s the wide toe box that puts any Nano over the top for me.

@mili forgot to ask, what your arch profile tends to lean towards? I don't do well with too much arch support as it leads to soreness and increase sentiments of instability a la I don't feel as in control.

@coolbair I’m pretty flat footed.

Also, the Reebok website has great deals on the X2 and X3 right now. And the return policy is solid if you don’t like ‘em.

@mili thanks. I'll probably end up getting one X series and the nano 2 to see which one I like.

Did you got true to size for your X# nanos? I'm afraid I need to go up a half since I read anecdotes about the unisex sizing on some etc

@coolbair I’m a 12, sometimes 12.5, and a 12 is perfect. I will say if my foot was any wider, I’d prob size up.

I wear a 12.5 New Balance regular width if that helps.

@mili awesome thanks. I'm on that cusp of E and EE. I found that after wearing true minimalist shoes that foot became incrementally a smidge wider/longer. I', going to go up half a size in the X line.

thanks for all the input!

@coolbair Xero 360s are their latest “CrossFit” shoe. Their Forza trainers also are good as a lightweight lifting + run short distance shoe, but I prefer the 360s, which seem to be more durable than the Prios where the pleather peeled off the toes. Just did back squats, almost 2 miles of running, rope climbs. The heel has a wider base. I’ve tried Nanos & No Bulls and my feet just get cramps on too many jumping movements.

@softhenic The 360's look like a great option. I've bookmarked it for when Xero does another amazing sale. I really do enjoy the options that I've gotten from them albeit most were not CF oriented but more outdoor/trail/city focused.

Which nanos did you end up trying?

@coolbair I have the Xero 360. I use them for work outs where I don’t need allot of ankle mobility. Since my ankle mobility is limited.

So for weightlifting, front squats / snatches , I use nano or weightlifting shoes . For the rest I use the 360. And for running over 2 K / 1.5 miles I use running shoes instead of the 360. But then again. I’m a true shoe collector .

The 360 was my first minimalist shoe (0 stack, flexible and wide spread) . I now own 4 pair of different minimalist shoes. It has become very hard to put on normal shaped shoes (Or are the minimalst shoes actually the normal one ?). My feet got way healthier (stronger, less flat)

Becareful though: the transition needs some time since your Achilles tendon will lenghten.

@2suthrn thanks the input! Yes I've worn vibram five fingers and xeros since early 2010's. Had my fair share of growing pains in transitioning.

those blasted toe shoes actually helped me a lot with achieving ATG squats and eventually unlocking the pistol squats.

I've bookmarked the 360 and have website tracker to see if it drops in price too. Waiting for a good sale.

thanks mate!

@coolbair Nano 2 are the best for wide toe box. For some reason, they are the most popular shoe, so much they keep bringing it back every so often. However, every shoe they have made since, they bring it back to a narrow toe box.

@neowatchman I wonder why they do this. I guess supply & demand as well as channeling the power of limited edition products to trigger the urgency of FOMO buying.

That being said, it sounds like the X4 albeit wider than most main stream big names, is not the best for flat feet due to the arch support profile.

sounds like I will bite the bullet with "old" nano 2.0s if I want to use this GC.

appreciate the input!

@coolbair I love my rerun nano 2s however you will need shoe glue most likely for the sole. I’m 160+ sessions into my first pair(I purchased 2) and with shoe glue they have held up. Just my .02 if you go that route

Back