Diamond pushups use more chest than wide pushups (from a study that also examined standard, pseudo-planche and simplified Lalanne pushups)

@thomaslowrens Do you guys ever get wrist pain and soreness from doing push ups in non-traditional forms? I mean, I get sore wrists from wide push ups at least, and probably diamonds as well. I need to keep proper form.

@prodigy1 Since you are putting at least 70-80% of your bodyweight on the wrists, it can be normal for them to get sore if they are not used to the load.

As I progressed with training, by doing wrist prehabilitation (for example the GMB wrist warmup found in the recommended routine of the sidebar), the soreness disappeared.

Sometimes they still get sore from hand balancing, you can do your pushup on fists or pushup handles, parallettes etc. to let them rest while they recover or while they haven't adapted yet.

@thomaslowrens Every time shoulder impingement is mentioned, I am back on google/youtube to find the right form.

Don't flare the shoulders, don't have the elbows at 90 degrees, tuck your elbows.

Athlean X provides a warm-up routine for making room in the shoulder movement (starts after around 2:42).

Is this good enough? It gets me every time. Shoulder impingement is such a cringey thing to happen. Makes me flinch every time. I just want to get the form right.

@dawn16 The wall slides from the video are good.

As for my personal experience, I had shoulder impingement caused by pullups that set me back from 9 repetitions to active hangs only, and took me a few months to return to the previous level.

What worked for me was improving my scapular control by avoiding too much shoulder internal rotation and downward rotation (rolling forward). Reducing the tightness of internal rotators like lats and pecs and strengthening the external rotators like the rotator cuff also helps. And the mid-low traps and serratus anterior are the muscles that prevent excessive shoulder forward roll.

@dawn16 There are many ways to improve the stability of the shoulder blades, the one you linked looks good.

Rolling forward is common in dips with bad form, here is a demonstration how it looks like. Having a good posture overall does not mean you can't lose it during an exercise if you haven't learned good form.

I don't do lat pulldowns since I train at home. During pullups I start in a passive hang, externally rotate the shoulders (so the elbows face more inside than back, if you use the overhand grip it's like trying to twist the bar into an underhand grip), unshrug them from your ears (scapular depression) and initiate the pull.

The exercises that I do for scapular health are horizontal pulling (row variations and front lever work), dumbbell external rotations, stick dislocates and the chin up dead hang to stretch the lats. It works for me but it's just an example.

In general your shoulders will be healthy if your traps, rotator cuff and serratus anterior are strong enough and the internal rotators like lats and chest are not too tight.

By reading resources like the one you linked you will learn more and you can choose your own exercises.

@thomaslowrens Btw- I used to suffer from wrist pain while doing diamond press ups but since I started to used a small medicine ball instead of laying my my hands flat on the floor I don't suffer from this pain anymore.

@sudsy What about shoulder width? You can go straight to ring pushups or floor pseudo-planche pushups (the lean can be increased very gradually, starting from barely more than standard pushups). Or weighted pushups.

@thomaslowrens OMG this post should have come 2 years ago.

Following much advice at the time I switched up my pushup routine to go wider (and lower) to follow "proper form". Inexplicably I injured my right shoulder to the tune of having to stop pushups altogether for about a 1 1/2 yrs, I figured I had just did "too many", but what was weird was I couldn't pinpoint the time where I actually injured it. It kind of just was, and I had to stop training.

I'm finally back to doing them again but this time being much more careful to listen to my shoulder. This, after gaining back 10lbs I worked hard to lose in the first place. Sometimes a nagging injury just de-motivates you from working out altogether :(

I didn't even know what shoulder impingement was at the time, but reading now I see those are the symptoms I had!

@mercysavesme I think wide pushups may have also been one of the causes of my shoulder problems before learning proper form, same for many people.

I see some comments saying that wide pushups can also be done injury-free, but it seems like they are very easy to do wrong and cause impingement.

Excessive volume of good form pushups or insufficient pulling can also cause injuries, but I don't know your situation.

Good luck, we can learn from our mistakes and become better than our past self.

@thomaslowrens Just tried those floor flyes after seeing the vid. I did them after some ring pressups & dips and they're a great chest isolation exercise to finish off the routine. Thanks

Back