Will S&S work the chest and biceps?

jesusrules1978

I recently started the S&S challenge, and I love it overall. I appreciate how heavily focuses on an overall workout with emphasis on the back and core. However, I wonder if it's not a little lacking in the chest and arms (specifically bicep) department. Should I start adding chest and arm exercises on the side to get a total body workout, or are those muscle groups getting worked more than I realize?

@jesusrules1978 You can add pushups, pullups, and dips easy enough. S&S hits the posterior chain well but you should do lunges and/or squats for your quads. Once you get your form down and a heavier weight going swings are magic for fixing your posture. I don't do them anymore, but getups unfucked my bad shoulder really well too.

Depending on how manageable your kettlebell weight is you can add curls, overhead press, rows, and maybe skull crushers(I found the movement awkward at first but found a way to do it with kettlebells pretty successfully).

Of course, the more you add, the more you drift away from the idea of S&S as a quick, simple, daily regimen, so it's a give and take depending on your goals. I was doing S&S 2/3 days a week and 3 full body workouts weekly when I started and had a lot of success.

@jesusrules1978 I’ve been doing S&S for years. I’ve come to realize it wasn’t enough for me, but rather the bare minimum.

I’ve added a variety of exercises over the years. Specifically for those muscles I do rows, pushups and pull-ups.

@jesusrules1978 Are you doing the curls at the bottom of the prying goblet squat in the warmup? I do three at the bottom of all five reps, after three rounds that’s 45 curls a day and I actually feel like I get a lot of bicep work.

@jesusrules1978 S&S is not really a "challenge", but a program. Have you read the book? I use(d) S&S as inspiration, but it currently acts as warm up and core of my home workouts, then after the TGUs I continue with other exercises that I select based on my mood at that moment.

@pamelakbd I can imagine that, however, using it as a challenge discards a lot of useful information that is in the book and was for me a very valuable read even though I never followed the program, not even loosely.