Workouts for REALLY weak woman?

@dianad373 I’ve been able to do +40 regular push-ups pretty easily by just focusing on form using the 6-point push up stance (feet, knees, and wide spread hands). Other ppl give me shit about it because it doesn’t look as hard core, but being able to knock out 40 perfect push ups is way cooler than 80 bullshit-I’m-not-fully-extending-my-arms pushups (looking at you fellas). You can do it anywhere, no equipment required. Just keep your neck and spine in line, tight tummy, and knock em out!

@dianad373 I could barely run 30-60 sec at a time one year ago. I just finished the 9 week couch to 5k program this week and have my first 5k race on Sunday. I’m slow ~ 11:30 miles, but I can do 3.1 miles without stopping. . I say this more to give you hope, if I can do it so can you!

Also I really like hasfit,com you can search their site and they have some good beginner strength programs you can do at home with no or very light dumbbells to start. https://hasfit.com

@dianad373 For me, building up strength helps a ton. Start with simple body weight exercises. I got a set of resistance bands for $10 from amazon, and I’m kind of surprised at what a difference they made. They may help you build up some strength. It will make cardio easier!

@dianad373 Sit down then stand up. Repeat. Once you can do that ten times in a row, hold a weight while doing it. Then Increase the weight. Then take away the chair, so that you are doing a body weight squat. Work on going deep, so that you are squatting down to a level where your thigh bones are parallel to the floor.

Then add a few pounds of weight. This is a weighted squat.

I worked my way up to back-squatting 135 pounds, and I started with body weight squats.

My goal? I never want to need handles on my toilet.

@dianad373 Start slow. Buy some low-weight dumbbells. Start with one pound. You can use the MuscleMatics app to put together some exercises. Start with 5 different exercises and lift those dumbbells 5-7 times. After 2-3 days, do those lifts twice. Then three times. Then move up to 2-pound dumbbells. Etc. Eventually, you'll get to 4 or 5 pound dumbbells which will begin to put on some muscle for you.

The ones I use from Muscle Matics are: dumbbell flys, triceps extension, barbell pullovers usiing dumbbells, bench press using dumbbells. One-armed dumbbell rows, curls, lateral dumbbell raises, overhead triceps.

Get an assortment of various weights of exercise tubes. Sometimes called "resistance tubes." Throw one over a door with one of the handles up as far as you can reach. Holding the other handle, pull down on the high one. This is a "pull down." Alternate hands. Shut the tube in a door at shoulder height and then pull straight towards you as if you are rowing. Then turn around and push away from you.

Walk every day! Start slow. Maybe just to the corner. Then a bit more each day. You can start with just walking for 5 min and then turn around and go home. Every day, increase a little bit, even if it's only 1 minute. You can use an app on your phone to see how far you've walked -- I use Runtastic Pedometer but there are others. (Don't pay for anything and get the simplest one you can find. One of the reasons I like Pedometer.)

You can do it! Start slow and build up. Do what is right for you!

I am 77 years old and last week, I bought two 14-pound cat litter boxes and a big bag of cat food and walked out of the supermarket with one box in each hand and the bag of cat food under my arm. Walked to my car and put them in the trunk and wasn't even breathing hard. You can do it!

@dianad373 You can do anything! You just need to scale.

As a fellow weak woman - and I mean weak - I began CrossFit. I was able to scale everything. Yes, sometimes that meant that people were using fifty pound weights while I was using five pounds, but it worked! I see a huge difference in my strength, even though I’m still weaker than your average woman.

@dianad373 I was lucky enough to have a few sessions with a personal trainer when I was having trouble building endurance (I was in awful shape when I started, and over the course of 3 months of regular gym-going I hadn't made any progress). The most helpful (small) change he added to my routine was stressing that I eat some good protein within an hour after my workout. I would always have a snack post-workout, but switching to some good protein snacks (tuna on crackers, a couple hard boiled eggs, a black bean burger patty, etc) made a surprisingly huge difference in how I felt, and it wasn't long that I noticed I was finally making progress. At the time I was eating mostly vegetarian since my roommate was, and I just wasn't getting enough to help in that recovery time after my workout.

I've never had much endurance with running, but interval training helped a lot. 30 second sprint (you can even start with a 10 or 15 second spring), walk for a minute and a half. Do that for 20 minutes or a half hour, and some machines even have programs set up for it (I like Sprint-8, but only one branch of machines have that program).

Also add some body weight and core exercises. You don't need to start with any weights to do squats or lunges. I have a bad back, so I did body weight until my core was strong enough to provide some good support. I still only add a 20 or 30 pound dumbbell to my routine depending on how I'm feeling that day. Resistance bands are also great.

@dianad373 Start slow. Buy some low-weight dumbbells. Start with one pound. You can use the MuscleMatics app to put together some exercises. Start with 5 different exercises and lift those dumbbells 5-7 times. After 2-3 days, do those lifts twice. Then three times. Then move up to 2-pound dumbbells. Etc. Eventually, you'll get to 4 or 5 pound dumbbells which will begin to put on some muscle for you.

The ones I use from Muscle Matics are: dumbbell flys, triceps extension, barbell pullovers usiing dumbbells, bench press using dumbbells. One-armed dumbbell rows, curls, lateral dumbbell raises, overhead triceps.

Get an assortment of various weights of exercise tubes. Sometimes called "resistance tubes." Throw one over a door with one of the handles up as far as you can reach. Holding the other handle, pull down on the high one. This is a "pull down." Alternate hands. Shut the tube in a door at shoulder height and then pull straight towards you as if you are rowing. Then turn around and push away from you.

Walk every day! Start slow. Maybe just to the corner. Then a bit more each day. You can start with just walking for 5 min and then turn around and go home. Every day, increase a little bit, even if it's only 1 minute. You can use an app on your phone to see how far you've walked -- I use Runtastic Pedometer but there are others. (Don't pay for anything and get the simplest one you can find. One of the reasons I like Pedometer.)

I am 77 years old and last week, I bought two 14-pound cat litter boxes and a big bag of cat food and walked out of the supermarket with one box in each hand and the bag of cat food under my arm. Walked to my car and put them in the trunk and wasn't even breathing hard. You can do it!Start slow. Buy some low-weight dumbbells. Start with one pound. You can use the MuscleMatics app to put together some exercises. Start with 5 different exercises and lift those dumbbells 5-7 times. After 2-3 days, do those lifts twice. Then three times. Then move up to 2-pound dumbbells. Etc. Eventually, you'll get to 4 or 5 pound dumbbells which will begin to put on some muscle for you.

I am 77 years old and last week, I bought two 14-pound cat litter boxes and a big bag of cat food and walked out of the supermarket with one box in each hand and the bag of cat food under my arm. Walked to my car and put them in the trunk and wasn't even breathing hard. You can do it!

@dianad373 I was lucky enough to have a few sessions with a personal trainer when I was having trouble building endurance (I was in awful shape when I started, and over the course of 3 months of regular gym-going I hadn't made any progress). The most helpful (small) change he added to my routine was stressing that I eat some good protein within an hour after my workout. I would always have a snack post-workout, but switching to some good protein snacks (tuna on crackers, a couple hard boiled eggs, a black bean burger patty, etc) made a surprisingly huge difference in how I felt, and it wasn't long that I noticed I was finally making progress. At the time I was eating mostly vegetarian since my roommate was, and I just wasn't getting enough to help in that recovery time after my workout.
I've never had much endurance with running, but interval training helped a lot. 30 second sprint (you can even start with a 10 or 15 second spring), walk for a minute and a half. Do that for 20 minutes or a half hour, and some machines even have programs set up for it (I like Sprint-8, but only one branch of machines have that program).
Also add some body weight and core exercises. You don't need to start with any weights to do squats or lunges. I have a bad back, so I did body weight until my core was strong enough to provide some good support. I still only add a 20 or 30 pound dumbbell to my routine depending on how I'm feeling that day. Resistance bands are also great.

@dianad373 Look for beginner fitness classes. I too am ridiculously weak. The beginner type stuff really breaks stuff down and offers a lot of modifications for if you can’t do something yet. Plus everyone there is in the same boat as you and the instructors don’t expect you to be able to do all that much

@dianad373 A year and a half ago I was essentially bed ridden. When we moved out of bvb the house that was making me sicker, O started with 200 steps a day. Increases by 100 a week. I'm maintaining at around 4000 a day and started lifting weights 6 months ago. 2lbs strap on weights to start. Just dead lifted 50 lbs Tuesday. That's a pretty for me.

That's slow progress for most people, but I still have a chronic illness and I have to go slow. I'm still 1,000x better than I was 1 1/2 ago. Dont be discouraged if walking slowly 5 min is all you can do, do that. You will eventually be able to progress.

Good luck!

Back