Would you consider 6-8kg to heavy for a 12yr old boy?

rainadavis

So I started doing kettlebells last year but my 12 year old son is interested in working out with me, appears to be safe and encouraged for kids to some form strength and conditioning training, my question is what would you consider good starting weight I'm thinking 6-8kg maybe ?

@rainadavis Not at all. I've taught plenty of students how to use Kettlebells & have had 10 year Olds swinging as heavy as 20kg so long as they knew what they were doing. Pistol Squats and push ups too. Kids are amazing sponges - they will naturally push themselves towards excellence. It's great.

@rainadavis Yes I owned my kettlebell gym for the past 15 years and now do all of my stuff online but he grew up in that environment

I've never coached him but he watches everyone like a hawk if he's not playing a video game or climbing something but if I try to really sit down and help him with certain things he loses interest but just know that they are watching a good role model and they are absorbing a lot just by watching you feel good in a positive environment

@kei1234 but that 40kg boy should probably start with 6-8kg kettlebell, right? the noobie gains will mean they'll need more weight for swings and stuff, but 6kg for get ups will be perfect in a couple weeks.

Back