Z press

treks

Anyone else here include Z presses into their routine? Last month I started to get back into kettle bells and added z presses as my primary unilateral vertical pushing movement and as a result, my shoulders are blowing up.

Anyone else do these?

Just a press off the floor. Forces strict form, taxes your core and I have found that it has a ton of carryover for pressing overhead when standing.

When sitting make sure your on you ass, not off your knees.

@treks I've been a huge fan of both barbell and kettlebell Z presses for years now. I particularly love using them for clients that hyperextend their low back while doing standing presses--the Z press doesn't really allow that to occur. Spreading the legs slightly, allowing a slight bend of the knees, or sitting on a small (~3") plyo box are all good regressions for people that lack the requisite mobility/stability until those qualities are developed.

With kettlebells, I generally will do one arm at a time like you, just to exaggerate the core strength aspect of the exercise by adding an anti-lateral flexion/anti-rotation element. Might as well take advantage of the fact that it's not a barbell. That said, using just one arm can be more forgiving in the sense that you can substitute for shoulder flexion by leaning to the side, so it's important to be honest with yourself (unless you're intentionally allowing some lateral flexion--you'll still feel your obliques work).

@treks Seated press is great because it enforces strict form, but I also think that there is a time to consciously choose to do a bit of a push press. Most of us make big jumps in weight, especially if we train at home. It is nearly impossible to go from 24 kg to 32 kg press without an intermediate weight- which costs money- or an intermediate exercise.

I think everyone should be doing some floor press, at least occasionally. Even if you use good form in standing press, you will probably find that you can't do quite as many reps seated- meaning that you aren't quite as strict as you think. Seated press keeps you honest.

@jim35215 "Most of us make big jumps in weight, especially if we train at home."

I think that this is a primary reason why vertical floor presses are great. 8+ kilo jumps are hard to accomplish with volume alone. The floor press can help add intensity without needing more weight.

Back