20.1 Strategy - A Coaches take having watched 20+ athletes complete it this morning

@dawn16 It actually was fine! I went slow in the beginning with those burpees to stay at a 1:30 pace and finished in 14:25! Women’s scaled, so 45lb.

@musicforerunner Solid advice! We've had a couple REALLY similar workouts recently where it's been some cardio piece (running/bike/row) split up between light "Ground to overhead". So even though I haven't done this yet, I DO feel like I've already done it.

I'll be leaning on my strengths as a barbell guy and not letting my heart rate spike with Snatches. I'm doing a steady clean and jerk and trying to get through the 8 reps unbroken the whole way through. The burpees always suck but I'm thinking the step up ought to take some sting off.

I'll be taking the "Slow is steady, steady is fast" approach today for sure.

@dawn16 That’s what I did. I knew I wasn’t gonna finish and my cardio is not great. So I did clean and jerk the whole way through almost as a “rest” from the burpees to let my heart rate come down a bit. Trying to do touch and go snatches for speed would have crushed me by the second round.

@vladd I suggest using a training bar (15lbs) and 2 15lb plates for several reasons:
1. The bounce is less severe when/if you bail
2. You can bail the bar (if your gym allows bailing)
3. There is height for the step overs.

If you have a coach that you really trust at your gym, I would ask them as well but that’s what I advise athletes in my classes.

Hope that helps!

@misshapes M/52/5'8"/210lbs - did it this morning. plan at the beginning was C&J 4/4 and constant pace on the burpees. I agree on the jump-down/step-up. Manage your burpees so you can step-up and make the jump without adjusting your feet again.

At one point I remember thinking that "this sucks" but no more than the previous round.

Back