Why don't men hire health coaches as much as women?

@eamonnroma A good coach is not cheap. Doesn't mean there aren't expensive scam artists out there as well.

One thing you could do instead is find an accountability group. I actually played around with this for a while by trying to create my own subreddit until I found out how hard that actually is.

Facebook (gasp) has some good ones. If not, local community is another good place to look.

I am a coach and I have a coach. It just really is hard to do alone. There is no shame in hiring someone to help you be a better person... although by half the answers on this post you'd think there is. Which is kind of what I was getting at it.

@chryssa1791 Yes I think about this a lot

And then there’s another layer. Some things are not a sign of weakness others are

For example:

Mechanic - used to be men had to do this. Now it’s more common to hire out

Accountant - becoming more common to hire

Etc

Nutrition and fitness seems to be one area where men are taking longer to come around

@gm0nkx I switched my target market to women which for whatever reason... Had more guys asking to work with me.

Unfortunately... Guys I've worked with are giant babies.

They disappear.

They don't like asking for help.

And they're the most resistant to change.

So I just stopped working with them and focus more on that 80% female demographic who isn't going to whine, cry, and complain. 😂🤷‍♂️

Guys struggle to ask for help but then they complain every step and I struggle to understand it myself.

@gm0nkx Did just fine into my 50's with obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Didn't need a coach then. Had a stroke and sh*t got real.

Checked into Gyms with coaches and availability, none were really close and most were expensive beyond just gym access (coaching).

Decided, home gym where it's right there!
  • Started with an inexpensive adjustable dumbbell set (5 to 30lbs each) and a weight bench.
  • Got a food plan from my physician recommended nutritionist (essentially high protein ~1g/lb with a balanced set of macros for carbs and fats).
  • Started exercising every day (Apple Fitness+, don't laugh it was a start). Moved over to free exercise plans online. So many give their splits and videos on how to do them, don't see the need to pay for an online course either.
Added to my equipment over time, small investment in an ez bar here and a dip station there. Saving $$$ over a gym membership and it's righ there when I roll out of bed.

Currently budgeting for a PowerRack/Smith machine setup that is pretty fully loaded for less than $1500 and supports more than I'll ever lift at my age.

My A1C went from 13 to 5.4, my daily BCG testing is in the 90 normal range. Blood pressure is fantastic, cholesterol HDL/Triglycerides are great and I've lost a lot of weight and gained serious lean mass (more muscles than in my youth). Wife of 30 years is over the moon with the results and I'm very comfortable in my skin. Very little concern of a future cardiovascular issue now.

I don't need a coach now either. I find that gym buddies and coaches are for the motivation. But the Grim Reaper had my back so to speak in the motivation department. What could a human being offer to provide more motivation than that?