Why don't men hire health coaches as much as women?

@gm0nkx Honest hot take:

Men on average are used to pushing themselves, physically, on a daily basis. Generally speaking men are more used to grinding away at a physical labor job and are ok with being sore the next day or two. They often don't need someone there holding them accountable and/or helping them grind through reps or add 5-10 lbs to a lift. Generally speaking men can embrace that kind of physical "suck" a lot more than women (women are tough too but it's a different kind of tough, mostly better with acute pain). I believe testosterone has a lot to do with this. Also, it's been my experience that women tend to defer to "experts" more than men who are more DIY by nature.

@gm0nkx Women are liable to have almost zero exposure. For them its a good investment.

Men who have had good exposure like as not won't need a coach or the last thing they need are coaches who have narrow worldview how to train someone - what THEY are familiar with or believe in.

Men pursuing specific competition related goals will often hire a coach. You need to specialize to capture that part of the market.

Men with no exposure are liable to be 100% unmotivated to hire you OR to learn for themselves.

Your pool of potential male clients for GPP coaching is small to begin with.

@gm0nkx So I'd bet that coaching for 2 people isn't in the budget so they opt for their wives to get a coach . I know this because I dropped my weightlifting gym membership at a crossfit gym so we could afford for my wife to do crossfit.

@gm0nkx
To be clear I’m interested in this trend of men not hiring nutrition or fitness coaches at large. I’m not wondering why YOU specifically don’t need a coach.

What do you think markets trends consist of? Oh right it's the aggregate of what most individuals want.

Although I do find it funny how many of you say you’d never need a coach and you don’t even know who i am or what I offer haha. I could be Arnold or Layne Norton

Except you're not Arnold or Layne and neither are the vast majority of "coaches"

@gmhogan77 I do think this is a huge part. Most people don’t take short term action for the long term health (with some exceptions like smoking)

Almost everybody works with us to get short term goals. Dad bod is acceptable in society. Mom bod is not. Kind of sad

@gm0nkx What? I was stating that the health coaches men have are personal trainers, and there is no real difference besides marketing, and how it is packaged.

@o2blikehim That’s awesome! To be clear my post is on men in general not on anyone in particular. I’m sure if you’re on this sub you don’t need a trainer. That’s why I found your answer puzzling

Either way I appreciate the thoughts. Such an interesting topic.

@gm0nkx This makes me of a client (male) at work who cornered me in an elevator and demanded to know if I am on ozempic (I am now but I wasn’t to lose any of the first 100lbs I lost) I told him I lost 100lbs naturally from CICO and he rolled his eyes at me and said he could tell I was on it bc of my skin had a nutritionist that could help me get rid of it

This guy was easily 3 times my current size (120lbs). You’re paying to listen to a clown when all the information about CICO is online.

@gm0nkx For me personally, it's a matter of me enjoying figuring out all the stuff a coach could help with.

Figuring out running tweaks to programs, diet, rest, deloads, technique, amount of cardio, bulking/cutting, etc. Is absolutely as big a part of the project as actually going to the gym. And I enjoy it a great deal.