2018 Contest Prep Breakdown

Hey everyone!

Over the weekend, I competed in my last show of my 2018 contest prep season, the NANBF Greater Omaha National Championships. It couldn’t have ended any better as I ended up winning my IPE pro card in Men’s Bodybuilding.

Here’s a quick write up of my entire prep.

Contest Prep Breakdown​

Prep Details​

Start date: 10/22/17
Total weeks in prep: 53 weeks
Beginning weight: 187 lbs
Ending weight: 151 lbs
Total lbs lost: 36 lbs (.67 lbs/ week)
Starting photos:

Training​

Sunday - Cardio/Posing
Monday - Upper (strength focused)
Tuesday - Lower (strength focused)
Wednesday - Cardio/Posing
Thursday - Upper (chest and arms)
Friday - Lower (volume focused)
Saturday - Upper (back and delts)

Cardio​

Cardio wavered all through prep, but essentially started of with a few sessions of LISS x 30-35 min.
By mid prep, we switched gears to three sessions of LISS x 35 min, two sessions of MISS x 20-25 min, and 1-2 HIIT sessions. The last 4-5 weeks, we took out all MISS and HIIT to decrease inflammation and fatigue in my legs and simply did LISS x 40-45 min 4-5 times a week, on top of, daily steps 10-15k.

Diet​

For the better part of prep, I was practicing flexible dieting, eating quite a few processed foods. Beginning macros were 225g protein, 300g carbs, 60g fat. The last five weeks things really changed and I dropped all processed foods and stuck with whole foods only (clean eating) so back to basics like chicken, broccoli, oats and sweet potatoes - these became staples. I typically ate 5-6 meals a day or every 2-3 hours.

Refeeds were planned almost every week, typically only one and rarely back to back, but for the most part calories were linear. A little bit of carb cycling for a couple weeks, but then back into linear calories - worked better for me.

Shows​

NANBF KC Classic - September 16, 2018
3rd in Men’s Open Bodybuilding (PQ)
2nd in Men’s Open Classic Physique (PQ)
Photos:
NGA Natural Peoria Championships - October 20, 2018
2nd in Men’s Pro Bodybuilding - Pro debut -- won NGA pro card in 2015
Photos:
NANBF Greater Omaha Natural Championships - October 27, 2018
1st in Men’s Open Bodybuilding (PQ) - won IPE pro card
Photos:

Future Plans​

I’ve decided that I will take likely 3-4 years off from competing to focus on building muscle on all muscle groups. Many of the competitors I faced had a size advantage and I want to bridge that gap with a long offseason of muscle building. Weak points will definitely get specialized, but the idea is really to grow while training harder than I’ve ever and smarter than I ever.

I know this was pretty brief, but let me know if anyone has any questions and I’d be happy to answer them.

Lastly, (shameless plug) if you wish to connect with me, please follow me or subscribe to my social media. DM me so I know you came from the subreddit!

Instagram

YouTube

Thank you.

@commando95 I guess you are right, so pardon my ignorance since I don't fallow any natural Pros. "Enhanced" are just much more interesting with their freakish muscularity.

@jesusloveselonmusk Makes sense. It's hard to picture what does a natural Pro does since you guys never get much coverage in magazines or youtube. I hope you can reach your genetic potential. Since I work physically at refinery I had to "enhance" myself with some testosterone otherwise my lifestyle would be too strict. When you work physically for a living, dieting sucks ass

@dawn16 It’s not nearly as prestigious as the IFBB and never will be, but in a way that’s what makes natural bodybuilding special, we do this to push our natural genetic potential and deep down have a passion for it regardless if it never will pay the bills. Right, you definitely have to plan years ahead to embark on such journeys

@jesusloveselonmusk Great job brotha, I too compete so hopefully shall be making a post like this 💪🏾 congrats on your win! 3-4 years is a hell of a long time though lol, I bet you get sick of being "off season" and wanna jump back on stage way before then haha!

@jesusloveselonmusk Congrats on the win, great conditioning, very well done! Really admiring your posing as well.

How were your fatigue levels towards the end mentally? 53 weeks seems like a slow & steady burn. How long were your diet breaks?